Hearing loss is the third most common rapidly growing health problem in the world. Although, we should say thanks to today’s technology because hearing aids & various other accessories have made our life much easier than before. These ear machines not only boost your hearing experience but also enhance your daily life activities. Better hearing starts with choosing the best hearing device. That is adapted to you and gives you a sense of sound. So choose the one hearing aid today that fits your lifestyle. In this article, we will explain various hearing aid accessories or types of equipment available in the industry.
Why Hearing Aid Accessories needed?
There are too many gadgets and accessories that exist in the market. They provide some different kinds of useful functionalities like connecting with other Bluetooth devices, make other types of equipment wirelessly accessible to your hearing aids like smart TV, MP3 music player, Smartphone and many more. Hence you can directly stream them with your hearing aid. Also, some accessories available to carry and handle your listening devices carefully and prevent them from lost easily.
Care and maintenance of a hearing aid are crucial. Along with the care, any electronic machine needs the electric power to work properly. Therefore, hearing aids are built up with removable batteries too to overcome the power issue. Also, within the advancement of hearing aid technology, we meet our target. That is to reach to the design and to build a new kind of rechargeable hearing machine for users. Same as in hearing devices we often use some type of technology and features too.
Compulsory Hearing aid Accessories
Hearing devices can not work effectively without some of their parts & components. Therefore, the battery and hearing aids cleaning kit comes with the initial purchase of this listening equipment. So, you could start using them as soon as they arrive. But it is not fully sufficient for the rest of your life. You have to purchase more accessories once the old one is useless.
The must-have hearing machines’ accessories are as follows :
Hearing Aids Cleaning Tools
Keeping your hearing aids clean is very essential for the long life and reliable working of hearing devices. Wearing a hearing machine continuously for over a long period of time causes dirt, ear wax, and natural oil of skin is affects its functionality as well as its sound quality too. Hence make it a habit to clean and maintain your hearing machine on a daily basis. Because it is not possible to visit your audiologist or repair center every time for just cleaning your equipment.
There is various kind of effective and useful hearing aid cleaning kits are available in the market. Therefore with the help of easy to use manual and few instructions, you can clean your hearing aid on a regular basis by yourself.
These cleaning kits may consist of these common tools:
- 5 in 1 cleaning kit by Acu life for Earwax pick and removal, Battery door opener, Hearing aid tube & vent cleaner along with Battery replacement magnet.
- A pack containing 5 hearing aid cleaning brush.
- Cleaning wire.
- And cleaning wipes.
- Battery Tester machine.
Hearing Aid Batteries
As you know, every electronic machine needs the power to work, similarly to the hearing devices also need power. Therefore, hearing aids batteries provide this all-day working power to the hearing machines. Hence, it is recommended to you that use your hearing aids only when it is necessary to listen. This is required to avoid useless battery consumption so that the battery may run longer than normal. All ear machines require the external button cell battery to function properly unless you have a rechargeable hearing aids.
Zinc-air button disposable battery is the most common hearing aid battery that is available in the market. These are available in four different sizes with a different color i.e 10, 13, 312, and 675. Your hearing aids will run on one of these specific types of batteries. Batteries come in standard color with code to help ensure you get the right type. You can take a spare battery with you while traveling so, you could be ready if the battery ran out. You can also choose the latest hearing machines for yourself with low battery alert.
|Size 10||yellow||5.8 mm wide by 3.6 mm high||3 to 7 days|
|Size 312||brown||7.9 mm wide by 3.6 mm high||3 to 10 days|
|Size 13||orange||7.9 mm wide by 5.4 mm high||6 to 14 days|
|Size 675||blue||11.6 mm wide by 5.4 mm high||9 to 20 days|
Optional Hearing aid Accessories
These optional hearing aid accessories are very useful. But these have not come under the category of “must buy” kind of things. Because you can manage your hearing device even without them. Although, if you buy these accessories so it will provide you hassle-free usability of your ear machine. Because these are meant to be designed for the complete care of equipment.
Hearing Aid Dryer or Dehumidifier
A hearing aid is a small delicate device and you can reduce the number of repairs by taking good care of it. You can store your hearing device in a safe and dry place like in a dehumidifier for overnight to avoid moisture and debris from hearing aids. That is why many hearing professionals recommend dry containers to store your devices.
This dehumidifying storage box provides a safe, inexpensive night time storage option for them while they are not in use. A hearing aid dryer or a dehumidifier is basically designed to escape moisture from them.
There are two main types of hearing aid dryers:
- Electric dryers utilize a power source to work.
- Good for Hearing aids, cochlear implant hardware, tinnitus maskers, and in-ear monitors
- The drying options can vary as heat, fan, or desiccant.
- It provides conditioning for 8 hours long and then shuts down automatically.
- The price of the electric hearing aid dehumidifier ranges from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 14,234.
- Non-electric types utilize a desiccant or gel to absorb moisture.
- Keep your hearing aids in the canister every night to suck out the moisture from it.
- Always keep the top lid closed so that the desiccant material does not fill with moisture.
- You can either remove the battery or not before putting your hearing devices inside it.
- These dehumidifiers are usable again and again.
- They are cheaper than electric dehumidifier i.e Rs. 449.
Bluetooth Streaming Devices
Digital hearing aid comes with advanced features of Bluetooth compatibility. Hence that the user can connect wirelessly to another device like phone, TV, mp3 and more to the hearing aid machines. This is an optional accessory so that you can buy it according to your needs. This streaming device called “streamers”. These are designed to work with your specific listening devices like t-coil hearing aids.
Features of Bluetooth Hearing Aid:
- It connects your device to many different Bluetooth-enabled devices wirelessly.
- Any audio from a specific source will come directly to your ears.
- It is a portable device that is worn around your neck.
- It keeps you connected and in control
- Use streaming audio through your hearing machines or serving it as a remote control.
Hearing Aid Clips
The hearing machine’s costs are very high. Thus it is an expensive device and losing this can be stressful for you. Wearing them all the time does not mean you can not live an active lifestyle. So there are many hearing devices accessories available in the market. It includes hearing aids clips to avoid the fear of losing your aids. Some of its clips are given below,
1) Anchor Ear Bands(clip for babies) – Rs 1,281
- The ear bands are a great way to prevent babies from pulling and removing hearing aids.
- 2 silicon sleeves attached, silicone elastic band
- Adjustable to the wearers with many color options
- These clips do not come with hearing aids, you have to buy your own.
- Suitable for both either (RIC, BTE) wearers or cochlear implant infants.
2) Kids Clips(clip for toddlers) – Rs 658
- These can be used to protect BTE hearing aids against falling off.
- A silicone ring slides easily and securely over the BTE (behind-the-ear) hearing aid.
- They are of high quality, durable, non-toxic, resistance.
- It can work in a high and low-temperature environment.
- These and available for boiling water disinfection.
- Comfortable to wear and especially suitable for children to use.
3) Ear Gear(Clip for school-age children) – Rs 2,627
It’s a challenge for the children to wear hearing aids in school as they are being bullied by their friends. So, it’s impossible for parents to make their kids ready to wear ear machines. A decorated hearing device clips will help your children to do the highly active task in school but it’s a struggle to match it to their uniform, sports t-shirts or dancing costume.
- double layer spandex sleeve that protects hearing aids from sweat, dirt, moisture, loss, and wind noise.
- Suitable for all ages from infants to seniors.
- Best for the cochlear implant, ITE, Baha models and available in 8 different colors to suit your children choice.
4) Safe N Sound Strapz(Clip for adults) – Rs 1,381
- More secure and keeps your hearing aids in a place.
- Attached to the clothes to avoid falling off.
- Can be worn with glasses, cochlear implants, and BTE.
- Suitable for all age type.
5) Otoclips(Clip for seniors) – Rs 894
- Designed to work with ITE instruments
- cords with clips attached to it.
- ITE OtoClips use a spring-loaded pin to secure the cord.
- You can buy either BTE monaural or ITE Binaural.
6) Safe N Sound Duo(Clip for glasses) – Rs 899
- Suitable for all eyeglasses wearers with a compatible fit
- Eyeglasses attachment
- For all age groups with glasses.
Assistive Listening Devices
Assistive listening devices are designed for listening to conversations on the phone, watching television, watching performances, hearing the doorbell, listening to public appearance or an alarm clock. It brings clarity to each one of them.
The working of assistive listening devices is given below :
- A microphone captures the sound from a surrounding or an individual and from the source, such as a telephone or a lecturer
- The sound is processed by reducing the noisy sound so that speech is enhanced.
- The sound is then transmitted to the receiver of hearing aid, and from there to the user’s ear.
Wig Tape and Surgical Tape
Wig tape or the surgical tape are also termed as a good optional hearing devices accessories as they are used to keep the device like Behind The Ear (BTE) hearing aid in a stable position by contact with the skin of a user.
It will let your kids do exercise or perform any of the heavy tasks even without falling off their hearing aids. One side of the tape will get attached to the behind the ear machines and another side will stick behind the ear. The pack with 42 tabs costs Rs 682.
There are various types of hearing aid accessories that suit your lifestyle. You can choose them according to your needs and desire. Either you can use it as a medium to hear much better and clearer or you can use it as a part of decoration to bring up new fashion statement along with good hearing.
If you are suffering from deafness, consult with a hearing care professional. You can do it here by Booking an appointment at HearingSol or by giving a call on our toll-free number 1800-121-4408 and find the right treatment for your hearing disability.