Hearing loss is the third most common rapidly growing health problem in the world. Thanks to today’s technology, hearing aids & various other accessories have made life easier. These machines not only boost your hearing experience but also even enhance your daily life activities. Better hearing start with choosing the best hearing device that is adapted to you and gives you the sense of sound. So choose the one that fit your lifestyle.
Hearing machine is a small device which needs a lot of care and maintenance. Along with care, any electronic machine needs the power to work. So, hearing aids are built up with removable batteries to overcome the power issue. And within the advancement of technology, we meet our target to reach up to rechargeable hearing aids. Same as in hearing aids use some type of technology and features.
There are so many greatest accessories that exist in the market. They provide different functionalities like connecting with other Bluetooth devices to make them wirelessly accessible to your hearing aids. In this article, we will explain various hearing aid accessories or types of equipment available in the industry.
Compulsory Hearing aids Accessories
Hearing aids can not work effectively without some of its parts & components. Battery and hearing aids cleaning kit come with the initial purchase. So, you could start using them as soon as they arrive but it’s not sufficient for the rest of the life. You have to purchase more accessories once the old one is useless.
The must-have hearing aids accessories are
Hearing Aids cleaning tools
Keeping hearing aids clean is essential for the long life and reliable working of hearing devices. Wearing hearing machine for over time, dirt, ear wax, oil can affect its functionality as well as its sound quality. So make a habit to clean and maintain your hearing machine on a daily basis. It’s not possible to visit your audiologist for every cleaning of machines.
These kit are available in the market so you could clean your hearing aid by yourself on regular basis. It consist of:
- 5 in 1 cleaning kit by Acu life for Earwax pick and removal, Battery door opener, Hearing aid tube & vent cleaner along with Battery replacement magnet.
- A pack containing 5 hearing aid cleaning brush.
- Cleaning wire.
- And cleaning wipes.
- Battery tester.
As you know, every electronic machine needs the power to work so as hearing aids. Batteries provide all day working power to the hearing aids so, it is recommended to use hearing aids only when it is necessary to listen. This avoids the useless battery consumption and the battery may run longer. All hearing aids require the battery to function properly unless you have a rechargeable hearing aids.
Zinc-air button disposable battery is the most common hearing aid battery that is available in the market. These are available in four different sizes with a different color i.e 10, 13, 312, and 675. Your hearing aids will run on one of these specific types of batteries. Batteries come in standard color with code to help ensure you get the right type. You can take a spare battery with you while traveling so, you could be ready if the battery ran out. You can also choose the latest hearing aids for yourself with low battery alert.
|Size 10||yellow||5.8 mm wide by 3.6 mm high||3 to 7 days|
|Size 312||brown||7.9 mm wide by 3.6 mm high||3 to 10 days|
|Size 13||orange||7.9 mm wide by 5.4 mm high||6 to 14 days|
|Size 675||blue||11.6 mm wide by 5.4 mm high||9 to 20 days|
Optional Hearing aid Accessories
Hearing aid dryer or dehumidifier
A hearing aid is a small delicate device and you can reduce the number of repairs by taking a good care of it. You can store your hearing device in a safe and dry place like a dehumidifier for overnight to avoid moisture and debris from hearing aids. That is why many hearing professionals recommend dry containers to store your hearing aids. This dehumidifying storage box provides a safe, inexpensive nighttime storage option for your hearing aids while they are not in use. A hearing aid dryer or a dehumidifier is basically designed to escape moisture from hearing aids.
There are two main types of hearing aid dryers:
- Electric dryers utilize a power source,
- Good for Hearing aids, cochlear implant hardware, Tinnitus maskers, and in-ear monitors
- The drying source can vary from heat, fan, or desiccant.
- It provides conditioning for 8 long hours and then shuts down automatically.
- The price of electric hearing aid dehumidifier ranges from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 14,234 or $29-$203.
- Non-electric utilize a desiccant or gel to absorb moisture.
- Keep your hearing aids in the canister every night to suck out the moisture.
- Keep the top closed always so that the desiccant material does not fill with moisture.
- Either you can remove the battery or not before putting your hearing aids inside it.
- They are reusable again and again.
- They are cheaper than electric dehumidifier i.e Rs. 449.
Bluetooth Streaming Devices
Digital hearing aid comes with advanced features of bluetooth compatibility so that the user can connect wirelessly to another device like phone, TV, mp3 and more to the hearing aids. This is an optional accessories which you can buy according to your needs. This streaming device called “streamers” are designed to work with your specific hearing aids like t-coil hearing aids.
- It connects your hearing aids to many different Bluetooth-enabled devices wirelessly.
- Any audio from specific source will come directly to your ears.
- It is worn around your neck.
- it keeps you connected and in control by streaming audio through your hearing aids or serving as a remote control.
- You can connect it with your iPhones or Android phones and control it with your phone.
Hearing Aid Clips
Hearing machine are very expensive device and losing this can be stressful. Wearing a hearing aids doesn’t mean you can not live an active lifestyle. So there are many hearing aids accessories available in market like hearing aids clips to avoid the fear of losing your aids. Some of the hearing aids clips are given below,
1) Anchor Ear Bands(clip for babies)–$18.50
- The ear bands are a great way to reduce babies pulling and removing hearing aids.
- 2 silicon sleeves attached, silicone elastic band
- Adjustable to the wearers with many color options.
- Hearing aids clips do not come with a hearing aids, you have to buy your own hearing aids.
- Suitable for both either hearing aids(RIC, BTE) wearers or cochlear implant infants.
2) Kids Clips(clip for toddlers)–$9.50
- Used to protect BTE hearing aids against falling off.
- A silicone ring slides easily and securely over the BTE (behind-the-ear) hearing aid
- They are high quality, durable, non-toxic, resistance to high and the low-temperature environment, and available boiling water disinfection.
- Comfortable to wear and especially suitable for children to use.
3) Ear Gear(Clip for school-age children)–$37.95
It’s a challenge for the children to wear hearing aids in school as they are being bullied by their friends. So, it’s impossible for parents to make their kids ready to wear hearing aids. A decorated hearing aids clips will help your children to do the highly active task in school but it’s a struggle to match it to their uniform, sports t-shirts or dancing costume.
- double layer spandex sleeve that protects hearing aids from sweat, dirt, moisture, loss, and wind noise.
- Suitable for all ages from infants to seniors.
- Best for the cochlear implant, ITE, Baha models and available in 8 different colors to suit your children choice.
4) Safe N Sound Strapz(Clip for adults)–$19.95
- More secure and keeps your hearing aids in a place.
- Attached to the clothes to avoid falling off.
- Can be worn with glasses, cochlear implants, and BTE.
- Suitable for all age type.
5) Otoclips(Clip for seniors)–$12.91
- Designed to work with ITE instruments
- cords with clips attachment.
- ITE OtoClips use a spring-loaded pin to secure the cord.
- You can buy either BTE monaural or ITE Binaural.
6) Safe N Sound Duo(Clip for glasses)–$12.99
- Suitable for all eyeglasses wearers with a compatible fit
- Eyeglasses attachment
- For all age groups with glasses.
Assistive Listening Devices
Assistive listening devices are designed for listening to conversations on the phone, watching television, watching performances, hearing the doorbell, listening to public appearance or an alarm clock. It brings clarity to each one of them. The working of assistive listening devices is given below,
- A microphone captures the sound from a surrounding or an individual and from the source, such as a telephone or a lecturer
- The sound is processed by reducing the noisy sound so that speech is enhanced.
- The sound is then transmitted to the receiver of hearing aid, and from there to the user’s ear.
Wig tape and Surgical Tape
Wig tape or the surgical tape are also termed as an optional hearing aids accessories as they are used to keep hearing aids Behind The Ear(BTE) in a stable position by contact with the skin of a user. It will let you perform the heavy task without falling off of a hearing aids.
One side of the tape will get attach with the behind the ear hearing aids and another side will stick behind the ear. The pack with 42 tabs costs $9.85.
There are various type of hearing aid accessories that suit your lifestyle. You can choose them according to your needs and desire. Either you can use it as a medium to hear much better and clearer or you can use it as a part of decoration to bring up new fashion statement along with good hearing.
But If you are suffering from deafness, the first step is to consult with your hearing care professional and find the right treatment for your hearing disability. Before purchasing any device accessory, consult with them to be sure it will work with your hearing aids or not.