Hearing Aids cleaning, care, and maintenance of a hearing aid are very important because if they aren’t properly maintained, they can affect your hearing conditions. In order to make good use of this investment and give them a long-lasting life, ensure that you’re keeping and using them correctly.
You can purchase the latest hearing aids at a fair price through HearingSol, If you need more information or you have a query about Hearing Aid Cleaning or Hearing Loss, just give us a call on +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.
The hearing aid is an expensive device hence many people depend on their audiologists to clear it. Poor maintenance and hearing aids cleaning can reduce its life span significantly. But, there are many ways to clean a hearing aid at home. The reason behind this machine get dirty is they cover your ear canal which is covered with earwax and moisture.
Why Daily Care And Hearing Aid Cleaning Is Necessary?
Hearing aids are a small, electronic, and sophisticated device which has to rest in both warm and damp area i.e our ear. Mostly this device is not familiar with moisture and thus the chance of getting damage increases. As the hearing aids are costly, every user wants it to last long which is hard to achieve without its day to day cleaning.
With a clean hearing aid, you have the following benefits such as:
- You ought to have clear and better listening.
- The chances of having an ear infection, itchy ears, and other issues decrease.
- You don’t have to throw money for its time to time repairing.
- You can clean your hearing aids on your own rather than rushing to an audiologist with the help of hearing aids cleaning kits available online.
While ear wax is healthy for your ear, but it can create a number of problems for the hearing aid. Keeping it in good condition is important. Here you will get to learn some small things you can do on a daily basis to maintain and clean your hearing aid.
Hearing Aid Cleaning Tips
There are various hearing aid cleaning tools, you can use. You can get a small kit from the market which includes wax pick, wax removal brush, battery door opener, tube pick, vent pick, and a battery replacement magnet. These tools are easy for hearing aids cleaning and battery replacement. You can also bring these tools to your audiologist or hearing care expert.
Following are the best hearing aid cleaning tools you can use for your hearing machine:
- NanoClean Hearing Aid Cleaners
- 5-in-1 Hearing Aid Cleaner Kit
- Wax pick and wire loop
- Hearing Aid Cleaning Brushes
- Audiowipes Disinfectant Towelettes
- Hearing Aid Disinfecting Spray
- Jodi-Vac Hearing Aid Vacuum Cleaner
Follow These Tips For Proper Care & Maintenance
Clean your hearing aids on a daily basis
Prevent it from wax clogging. You should gently clean it with a soft, dry towel each day. Alcohol, cleaner liquid, or cleaning products cause damage. Hearing aids cleaning before bedtime gives them several hours to air out before you will put them in again. Avoid wipes with chemicals or alcohol when cleaning hearing aids as they could damage the devices.
Watch this video to learn the cleaning procedures of a Phonak hearing aid.
Use the left and right mark
Putting hearing aid in the wrong ear can cause damages. If you are using the hearing machine in both ears then keep in mind that both are specifically customized for your ear with different specifications. So do not swap it.
Protect from moisture or water
Remove it from your ear before taking a shower, bath, or swimming. Due to high moisture levels, you should not leave it in the bathroom. Store it in their storage case and keep a somewhere cool and dry place to avoid condensation, overheating, and moisture.
Open battery door at night
Open your hearing aid battery door at night to allow air to flow through the device. So that all moisture gets dry and also adds the benefit of preserving battery life. Before opening the door of battery, follow all instructions of the hearing device as some may require reactivation or replacement parts after a certain amount of usage.
Keep away from kids and pets
These machines are small in size and kids used to take everything in the mouth. Hence it better to keep it away from kids as well as pets.
Use proper tools for hearing aids cleaning
Troubleshooting a Hearing Aid can be done using a wax pick and brush as they are the most indispensable hearing aids cleaning tool. If earwax is left for a long time in the opening at the end of a hearing aid, it may damage the receiver. Use the pick and brush to gently clear wax away. The following tools are useful in given ways :
- Soft, dry cloth – removes moisture and debris
- Pick and brush – removes wax
- Bulb blower – removes moisture from tubing
- Dehumidifier or drying jar – removes moisture overnight
Avoid extreme heat or cold
During the winter season, you should take your hearing aids out of your ears to shovel the driveway, leave them inside the house instead of leaving in your coat pocket. During summertime, when you are going to swim, take out of your hearing aids and place them inside your house instead of leaving it on the poolside.
Do listening Checks
You may use the listening tube to listen to your hearing aids daily in order to make sure that the sounds are clear. You want to make sure that there are no breaks in the sounds. You should listen for feedback, or a whistling sound, inside the aids.
Check the batteries
Batteries should last 1 to 2 weeks. Check the batteries using a battery tester. You will hear the best when the batteries are at full strength. Always keep spare batteries with you. Store them in a cool, dry place. Batteries are toxic, so handle them carefully. Be sure to get rid of them properly.
Now We Will Guide You With Some Ways To Clean Some Specific Type Of Hearing Aids
How to clean Behind The Ear Hearing Aid (BTE)
- Cleaning the mold and tubing: Remove them in one piece, then clean in lukewarm, soapy water. Dry your hearing aid so there is no drop of water left in the tube, then reattach to your machine.
- Not allowing the tubing to become twisted
- Clean the main body of the hearing aid by wiping with a soft cloth
- Do not use solvents or cleaning fluids
- Store your hearing aid overnight in its dehumidifier.
How to clean RIC/OTE hearing aid
- Removing wax or other debris regularly. The Hearing Aid Dispenser will show you the correct way to do this with the tools provided
- Locate the microphone and speaker ports of your hearing aids.
- Changing the wax filter (if fitted) if it becomes clogged, and the earbud if it becomes hard or damaged. Our Hearing Aid Dispenser will show you the correct way to do this
- Not allowing the tubing to become twisted
- Clean the main body of the hearing aid by wiping with a soft cloth
- Never immerse the hearing aid in water
How to clean CIC/ITC/ITE hearing aid
- Removing wax or other debris regularly.
- Changing the wax filter if it becomes clogged. Our Hearing Aid Dispenser will show you the correct way to do this
- Cleaning the main body of your hearing aids with a soft cloth
- Do not use solvents, cleaning fluids, washing-up liquid or oil
- Never immerse your hearing aids in water
What To Do When Hearing Aids Dropped Accidentally In Water?
Suppose your hearing aids accidentally dropped in water. What will you do? Should you replace it or you can still use it aftercare and maintenance? Well, there is no need to worry as you can still care and maintain your hearing aids if it is dropped in water. The following steps will help you to guide :
More Things To Consider For Cleaning Hearing Aids
- Wipe your hearing machines with a soft cloth, tissue, and customized wipes.
- Take care of the microphone and the speaker port.
- Use a soft or specific brush to clean the microphone or speaker to remove any wax or dirt.
- Next, use a wax pick or hook to clear anything out of the holes that didn’t come out with the brush.
- Open the battery door that allows air to go from one side of the hearing aid to the other. Use a vent cleaner to clear out the vent of the machine.
- Use a hearing aid vacuum cleaner to clean additional dirt.
- You can also use a spray to clean your hearing aid and earmold.
Hearing Aid Cleaning Kit
Hearing aid care is not difficult and neither time consuming but needs consistency. You invest a lot of money for the better hearing experience, hence it is always advisable to lose your pocket a bit for the cleaning kit.
It is cheaper to buy a hearing aid cleaning kit than spending on its repair or paying the audiologist charge. Hearing aids require special care for their proper functionality so, the special cleaning items were brought together to provide you with the easy cleaning experience.
Some of the hearing aids cleaning kit brand and their items are:
1. Acu-Life 5-In-1 Hearing Aid Cleaning Kit — Rs 520
In this 5 in 1 cleaning kit you will be provided with:
- EarWax Removal Brush
- Pick to remove Wax
- Battery Door Opener
- Hearing aid Tube & Vent Cleaner
- Battery Replacement Magnet
2. Cleaning Brushes (6 pack) –Rs 388
Hearing aids cleaning brushes with magnet and earwax loop.
3. Hearing Aids cleaning brush thread — Rs 553
- Fast and effective cleaning without damaging the aids
- Soft nylon cleaning brush
- Reaches inside the small tube to clear wax build-up
- 20 strands in one box
4. Hearing Aid Cleaning Wire for Sound Tubes — Rs 693
Used to Clean hearing aid tubes to remove moisture and debris 2 packs with 5 wires each.
5. Hearing Aid Cleaning Wipes — Rs 641
Hearing aids cleaning wipes for quality cleaning of aids.
These are some online buy-able hearing aid cleaning kit which will increase the life of your hearing machine. Now, follow the given tips and it will make your hearing aids work their best for this year and many more to come. You always need to be sure about some of the specific points after having the hearing aids like:
- Do listening checks daily through the listening tubes.
- Check the batteries and regular cleaning habits of your aids.
- And always keep your hearing aids dry.
Some Simple Tips To Maximize The Life Of Your Hearing Aid
- To clean your hearing aid, gently wipe down with a soft and dry cloth or a mild soap solution. Make sure to clean them regularly to avoid ear infection and get quality sound.
- Take out your hearing aid while bathing, swimming, or in a steam bath.
- Remove your hearing aid before using personal items like hair spray, perfumes, shaving lotion, and hairdresser.
- The hearing aid should always be as dry as possible, put it in a dehumidifier or plastic case (free from moisture) every night as you sleep.
- Keeps your hearing machine away from moisture. Store in a cool and dry place.
- Check battery or listening performance regularly of your hearing device by using a testing instrument.
- If the Hearing Aid battery doesn’t work then remove it immediately and insert a new one properly.
Always remember to turn off your hearing aid and open the battery compartment. When you’re finished with them for the day. Never try to lubricate any part of the hearing aids.
When You Need To See Your Professionals
A little bit of hearing aid care make your device durable & working for a long period of time. We suggest you concern your audiologist for proper care and guidance if you are a beginner or unable to do it yourself.
If you have read our whole article and find yourself comfortable to clean it yourself, it’s great. But at any stage, if you are feeling any sort of confusion and need the advice to contact a hearing professional dial our toll-free number (+91-9899437202). That’s all in this article. If you wish to purchase the hearing aids at best price, browse our price list and contact us for more.