Hearing Aids are a tiny piece of advance technology. Even after being such a small in size, it contains various sophisticated parts. These parts are used together to perform some advanced functions. Every single second when a user wears it on, it gives the immense experience of listening to clear sounds. What happens if this life changing equipment stop working? or you are seeking for Hearing Aids Repair due to some fault arises?
You can purchase the latest hearing aids at a fair price through HearingSol, If you need any assistance or you have a query regarding Hearing Aids Repair or Hearing Loss, feel free to call us at 1800-121-4408. We are always here to help you.
In such a condition the user will become deaf again. Yes, it is hard but it is true. Do you know what will be the biggest question in a hearing aid wearers mind? that is – Is it possible to repair a damaged hearing aid by any chance? well, it is a major question asked by every user. So now let us find out the appropriate answer for it.
Are Hearing Aids Repairable?
As they are so expensive and a big amount is invested in hearing aid. Every user will try to have a repair option for their hearing aids rather than buying a new hearing aid. Because not every person is capable of buying a new pair of hearing aid every time whenever they stop working. Therefore the correct answer to this question is “Yes” because in most cases hearing aids repair is possible.
However, there will be some cases too when it is not possible to do so. Hearing aids are used to sit inside or behind your ear. Hence they are exposed to the component that is not exactly ideal for them. It includes humidity, earwax, moisture, and debris each of these can badly affect the performance and longevity of the hearing aid. But still, the majority of repair cases handled at service centers, clinics, and all manufacturers are done simply to remove wax and debris.
The scenario says, even if you provide high maintenance to your hearing aid. It will still wear out or need to repair after some time in its typical lifespan of 5 to 7 years. Because it is a fact that as time takes its toll on everything including technology. And there are some chances that it may happen with your hearing machine too through the course of normal use. Although replacing the damaged hearing aid may be the best option. But you must try to get it repaired first, it may be possible that it helps to solve the issue.
Conditions in Which You can Repair Hearing Aids
There are some common issues that you can quickly fix at home without putting any extra effort into it. Also, you can get it to repair by an audiologist too to avoid any extra damage or replacement indeed. To troubleshoot the very general issues that happen with your hearing aid, some of these quick fixes are listed below :
When your hearing aid is unable to switch on :
- Check if the batteries are positioned correctly in the device?
- See if your aids batteries still have some charge left or not?
- Otherwise, try to replace your device’s batteries with a new one.
- Always keep some extra spare batteries at your home or with you.
- Open and close the battery compartment or battery door once.
- Keep a check if the battery compartment is free of any obstructions.
When your hearing aid stops working :
- Ensure if the hearing aid is turned on or not?
- Try removing and reinserting the hearing aid.
- Check the input settings of your listening device.
- try to check if the battery is dead or still working?
When the sound is not coming properly :
- You can clean it using the cleaning tool kit.
- Try replacing the wax filter of the device.
- Check if your ears are clean from earwax or not?
- The hearing aid should be free from moisture.
- Avoid accumulation of earwax or any oil in it.
- In the case of Behind-the-ear model, inspect for the tubing.
- If it shows any type of damage, get it fixed by a professional.
- Make sure if the volume is at an appropriate level.
- Maybe the volume is altered or down by mistake.
Conditions When Hearing Aids are Beyond the Repair
A professional audiologist has to determine if the hearing aid can be repaired or it is beyond repair? But for you to know if the device is beyond repair, check for the following conditions :
- The main circuit can be short in many conditions.
- When there is no sound coming out from the hearing aid.
- If the sound from the hearing aid is not loud or clear enough.
- you hear an unclear or cracked sound from your hearing aid.
- Already tried troubleshooting and the aid is still not working properly.
- Excessive feedback and whistling signals about the improper fit.
- Especially it occurs in a custom made hearing aid or in BTE Earmold.
- This may be because of the change of shape and size of the ear over time.
- If the damage is irreversible, such as a cracked case or a visible hole in the shell or Faceplate.
- Or the Earmold tubing is loose or needs to be replaced (generally after ever 6 months).
- when you have to change the batteries of hearing aid much more quicker.
For all these kinds of repair jobs, there are many walk-in clinics or repair centers available. where you need not take any prior appointment. Some clinics also offer postal repair service. But regular cleaning, routine maintenance, and diligent care will go a long way to keep hearing aids in your ears and out of the repair service shop.
5 Easy Troubleshooting Tips for Hearing Aids Repair
It might be possible your hearing aid stops working today which was working its best until yesterday. The reason behind this condition could be anything either the battery door may be disturbed or the battery may be dead. Also, it happens that there is lots of moisture inside.
In these common cases, you can’t run to an audiologist every time. You need to learn to fix this on your own. Troubleshooting step helps you to overcome the simple issue with the hearing aids.
If the troubleshooting does not improve the quality of sound or make your hearing aid in working condition again? then you can move to a repair center for the examination and repairing of the hearing aids.
Some of the easy troubleshooting tips for hearing aids issues are given below:
1. If you listen to a distorted sound from your hearing aids.
Clean out the possible earwax or debris from your hearing aids. The hearing aids are the small and sophisticated devices that can captures dust and earwax easily. because they used inside the ear canal all the time. So, the normal and regular cleaning of hearing aids can provide you a clean sound without any interference. But still, if you are unable to listen to clear voices then, you should check with the hearing aids battery contact which can be corroded by debris.
2. If your Hearing aids are not working
You must check the power to a Hearing aid whether it is On or not? Usually, the power and sound buttons are similar and sometimes near to each other on the outer body of the hearing aids. Hence there is a chance that you might press and switch-off the power button instead of the sound button. It can happen to anyone normally so be sure that you touch the right button. Also, the hearing aids don’t work when they are switched off until the power is On.
3. If you hear a whistling sound from the hearing aids
Check if your ears are clean or not? There could be a chance that there is no problem in the hearing aids but in your ears. Because built-up earwax or foreign particles in the ear canal can let no sound transmit up to the eardrum. This condition can simply cause a temporary hearing loss. Until your ears get back to clean and you become able to hear again normally. So do check the reason behind whistling is either your hearing aids or your dirty ears.
4. If your hearing aids battery are depleting fast
You must test the hearing aid batteries when your device is not working properly. The regular test of batteries, which generally lasts around once or twice a week. With a battery tester, you can assure that your hearing aids batteries are operating at its full strength so that your hearing aids are working at peak performance as an outcome.
It is suggested that you always have a spare pair or pack of batteries stored in a cool, dry place. Also, keep in mind that batteries are toxic and should be handled with care. You should make sure and let it out of the reach of the children.
You can also follow these steps for effective working and keep your hearing aid batteries last longer.
- Keep your hearing aids battery dry.
- Detach the battery from hearing aids before placing them inside the dehumidifier.
- Test the voltage of the old battery through the hearing aids battery tester, before applying the new one.
- Don’t use a hairdryer to dry your hearing aids battery.
5. If your Hearing aids are not loud enough
Check if the sound of a hearing aid is On or not? Increase the volume if you have manual control. Do the listening check and to avoid this exercise, make an attempt to listen to the hearing aid regularly through a listening tube. Doing so on may help you to make sure that they produce clear sound, as opposed to scratchy or weak.
If this does not help then, your hearing might have got changed for which you need to schedule a visit with an audiologist (1800-121-4408).
How Much the Repairing Cost is?
The cost of hearing aid repair depends on various factors. These factors will determine if the repairing cost will be minimal or it will burn a hole in your pocket. There are certain factors which determine the cost of a hearing aid repair:
- Type of hearing aid
- Type of repair or replacement part needed
- Whether it is under warranty or not.
It is really difficult to quote an exact amount of the hearing aids repair, here is what to expect:
- Rs 20,714 – Rs 27,618 for any mechanical repair in your device.
- such as a microphone, receiver, short in hearing aid, water damage, etc.
- Rs 34,523 – Rs 41,427 for re-casing or faceplate replacement i.e. the shell of the hearing aid.
Conditions for the variable Hearing aids repair cost :
The repairing cost also varies according to the model and features of the ear machines. Some of the replacement parts such as casings have their separate warranties. If the hearing health professional unable to repair your aid, then contact some reputed independent labs.
Does Warranty Cover the Hearing Aids Repair?
Normally, the Hearing Aids manufacturers companies provide the 1 to 2 years of warranty. These companies also provide the complete replacement warranty in case of broken or missing parts of the hearing machine. During the warranty period, you can change or repair the hearing aids that are free of cost.
One thing is most important that is before the purchase of the hearing device, you should check the warranty period on the warranty card of the hearing machine. After the warranty period, you will be responsible for the pay of hearing aids repaired. Because the lifespan of hearing aids is 5 to 7 years. So, you can use the hearing device by repairing it for some time.
If the hearing aid is still under warranty, the repair cost will be minimal – if there is a charge at all. The hearing aid which is not under warranty will cost more to fix, minimum of Rs 20,147 and they can add up quickly. It will be repaired within 4-5 business days. In most of the cases, when a repair is done, the repairing lab includes the 1-year warranty on their work.
So if anything goes wrong, you are still insured for the next year. Not all repairs are chargeable. It may be free of cost if done while office visits. And sometimes it is all, what it requires to work properly. Since hearing aids are very temperamental, one day they’ll work perfectly, the other day they may not even turn on.
Does Hearing Aids Insurance Covers Repair?
There are many types of insurance available for various purposes, such as health insurance, life insurance, car insurance, and even phone insurance. So it will be a good idea to look into insurance for your hearing aid as well, though it is not very common.
As these hearing aids are really important for your health and hearing, so it needs to be protected from getting damaged. It comes with a limited warranty (for a year or two), so it will be a nice idea to invest in some insurance to provide extra coverage for your ear machine.
There are some private health care plans which cover the costs of audiology tests, hearing aid evaluation, and even partial or full coverage of a hearing aid. You may ask for the inclusion of audiology services in your plan if they are not included. Medicare doesn’t cover hearing aids but Medicaid often does cover hearing aids and related services for adults, and it must cover them for children as well.
An ideal hearing aid insurance cover should have the following points:
- It should ensure all types and models of the hearing aid
- It covers the damage and general breakdown of the hearing aid
- The insurance should not be deductible
- It ensures the replacement of the lost or stolen hearing aid
- It should have the lowest premium in the industry
Reason to buy Hearing aid Insurance
Hearing Aids comes with a limited warranty (for a year or two) based on its level of technology. While some hearing aid providers (like Audicus) may increase the limit so that you can purchase it, that covers factory defects or faulty workmanship. Still, it will be beneficial to search for other insurance which may cover hearing aid damage situations like water damage, lost hearing aid, and hearing aid repair.
For any high-end device, the price averages approximately Rs 20,714 a year per aid. This may seem expensive, but the average cost of a hearing aid is around Rs 1,58,804. After seeing this, it will probably a wise decision. It can ensure both, replacement and repair.
Ear Service and Midwest offer cover for all types of hearing aids and replace it in case of loss or damage with the same model. If not so, then with a comparable model. Whereas Starkey hearing aid manufacturer will cover replacement of lost or damaged product with a Starkey product only.
Is it Worth buying Hearing Aid Insurance?
People always go for insurance for their important valuables. So, Why not for hearing aids? You must go for insurance, but not right away. While buying your hearing aid, you must check out the period of the warranty. The warranty period should cover both replacement and repair. A replacement will be a one-time offer, which includes loss. Once the replacement is done, the warranty is no longer in effect. After which you need to buy insurance.
In today’s time, it will be a wise idea to buy insurance for these small but mighty pieces of technology. They have a tendency to get lost or damaged easily. Hearing aid insurances are very affordable, and with it comes the peace of the mind, which is worth the price.
Emergency Hearing Aids Repair
There are situations when you may need an emergency repair for your hearing aid. Various repair labs provide such facilities. At HearingSol, we provide emergency repairing services in India & all over the world.
Visit our clinic or dial our toll-free number 1800-121-4408 to get further details. We have ample experience in this field. Our trained technicians have repaired over 20,000 hearing aids. We repair all types of hearing aid models and “if we can’t repair it, we will not charge you anything”.
The hearing aids repair service process consists of the following:
- Receiving the ear machine.
- Inspecting the parts of the aid and assessing the damage.
- Repairing and cleaning the hearing machines.
- If any part is required to be replaced, order it.
- 4-5 hours of testing on the computer to see if the repair works or not.
- Deliver the repaired product to the hearing aid wearer.
If you have a hearing aid device, you should know that they need appropriate measures or care in order to continue proper function. When you first receive your hearing aid device, the audiologist (1800-121-4408) will tell you, how to take care and check them often for optimal use. Perhaps you might have received tools such as a battery tester, forced air blower, listening tube, and drying container to help with these measures of regular care.