If any person has experienced much time like ringing, buzzing or hissing sounds in one or both ears or in the head, which does not come from an outside source then we can say that person has tinnitus.
Tinnitus is the ear of noise in the ear, such as jiggle, buzzing, clicking or puffing. This noise can range from low to high pitch. Serious symptoms can lead to impaired concentration, inability to follow the conversation, poor memory, poor sleep, excessive fatigue, depression, and anxiety. The condition often occurs with hearing loss and/or other ears, throat, and noise issues. Even with treatment and therapeutic management, tinnitus can lead to debilitating limitations and long-term disability.
If you need more information or you have a question regarding Tinnitus, you can discuss it with our HearingSol healthcare professionals, just give us a call on +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.
It may be constant or intermittent and/or pulsing. Tinnitus can range from being mild to being loud and disruptive to daily living and sleeping.
Disability Rating For Hearing Problem:-
According to the VA Schedule of Ratings Disabilities under section 4.87 hearing problem is rating and diagnostics codes 6200 to 6260.
- Common hearing issues for veterans include hearing loss and tinnitus. Other ear disabilities include
cancer, which is around 100% rating for six months with also termination treatment of cancer.
- Inner ear problem leading to dizziness and which is also known as peripheral vestibular disorders, rated at 10% for occasional dizziness or 30% when you have dizziness and sometimes stagger
- Loss of one or both ears (auricles), which includes a 30 percent loss in one ear or a 50 percent loss in both the ear. It also includes perforated eardrum whose rating is 0 percent.
- Perforated eardrum
Tinnitus is also under disability rating Like other conditions:-
Tinnitus is a noise that you hear in your ears, as resonant or ringing which happens repeatedly or continuously. The only rating available for tinnitus is 10%. A 10% rating will be submitted whether you are ringing in one ear or both ears; You can not get a 20% rating due to tinnitus in both ears. However, a high percentage may be available for those whose condition is so serious that it is weak or prevents you from working. You can get an extra timetable for your tinnitus, which is more than the limit of 10 percent in the cloning rating schedule.
The auditory loss is any degree of loss of ability to understand the sound. If you are diagnosed with hearing loss and tinnitus, then you may be entitled to a different rating for hearing loss and a different rating for tinnitus.
The following is required to establish a service connection:
- An existing diagnosis of hearing conditions,
- Evidence of an incident which caused the condition, and
- A medical opinion linking the present state of the incident in service or nexus
Hearing loss, psychiatric conditions, TBI which is related to it can be rated separately from tinnitus and if it is linked to one, but whether linked to another condition or not, the maximum rating will always be 10%.
An audiologist has some tests and protocol for tinnitus which they used for checking the severity of the tinnitus.
Test to check tinnitus –
Your doctor will examine your ears, head, and neck to look for possible causes of tinnitus. Tests include:
- Speech recognition testing
- Pure tone audiogram
- Acoustic reflex test
- Otoacoustic emission test
According to the test results of speech recognition, pure tone threshold average, and combinations of both helps in determining the disability of hearing impairment. There are also several levels of rating percentages depending on the test results. However, for tinnitus, there are specific ways to prove your case with the VA.
For many people, certain adjustments make the symptoms less bothersome. People get used to it and notice it less as compared to they did at first. These home tips may help you to prevent tinnitus at home only:
- Avoid possible irritants.
- Manage stress.
- Cover up the noise.
- Reduce your alcohol consumption.
For additional info:-
- The link between tinnitus and hearing loss
- New guidelines for Tinnitus Treatment – New Therapies
- Hearing loss treatment