Link Between Tinnitus and Hearing Loss
- Last Updated: Aug 2nd, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Hearings Loss
A connection between tinnitus and hearing loss
Hearing loss and Tinnitus are vice versa, many people who experience from hearing loss also suffer from tinnitus. We are here, going to discuss the hearing health issue. This problem may occur at any age because it is related to your body organs. So hearing Solution is here to solve your query and provide best quality treatment for your healthy hearing. We can also inquire if there is a link between tinnitus and hearing loss or not. Tinnitus can improve with treatment. Treating an identity underlying causing something helps other treatments reduce or mask the noise, making tinnitus less noticeable.
Every living being on earth has got the gift of sense organs that ensure its survival along with that it helps the living being in its day to day activities. We as human beings have a blessing of five sense organs. These sense organs-eyes, nose, tongue, skin and ears to keep your body safe. The sense organs mainly have a connection to the nervous system, which allows the body to receive vital information about the surroundings. The human sense organs contain receptors that relay information through sensory neurons to the appropriate places within the nervous system.
There is something you can do about tinnitus!
A misconception according to tinnitus is that it is considered a disease, but the fact is that it is only a symptom nothing more. In the quiet surroundings, tinnitus irritates you more, especially at night, when the masking effect of ambient noise from the environment is lost. Research shows that it is caused due to reduced nerve activity which connects the damaged part of the inner ear of the central nervous system in the brain, leading to increased nerve activity, as the signals travel to the brain. When that is increased, activity reaches the hearing center of the brain, a sound is heard even though the ear is not picking up any loud sound from its surroundings.
Hearing loss is caused by any disease process which interferes with the conduction of sound. In case of tinnitus loss, there is a ringing sound or noise in the ear. The origin of the sound is actually within the patient. It is unilateral but may also affect both ears. It may vary in pitch and loudness and has been variously described by the patient as roaring, hissing, swishing, rushing or clicking as the type of noise. Hearing loss is also referred to as hearing impairment or deafness. A patient with hearing impairment may have problems understanding speech, especially if there is a lot of noise around. People with moderate deafness may need a hearing aid.
According to a research, more than 50 percent of tinnitus sufferers have hearing loss.
Tinnitus patients experience severe deafness
In case of severe deafness, people depend on lip-reading when communicating with others. Lip-reading is also used by tinnitus patient in case there is a lot of disturbance in the surrounding. Tinnitus and Hearing loss are vice versa. Deafness is a very dark experience and people must understand that the hearing is a beautiful gift that we have received and it must be taken care of. The human body itself is a temple and there are certain rules and regulations that should be taken care of when we wish to live a happy and peaceful life.
Exposure to loud noise over long periods of time can experience both hearing loss and Tinnitus which is consistent with damage to the inner ear. The inner part of the ear is delicate and exposure to excessive levels of sound can damage it. This leads to disturbance in hearing and the same damage can trigger Tinnitus. Hearing loss is the stage after Tinnitus only if required and essential steps aren’t taken. In a number of cases, we can see the hearing loss and tinnitus are caused due to a genetic disorder. In which there is progressive degeneration of the cochlea during late childhood or early adult life.
Hearing loss is also triggered by other factors which can cause sudden deafness. Many diseases cause deafness, some of which are chicken pox, mumps, syphilis, diabetes, etc. Any type of injury like head injury, ear operations, noise trauma mostly affects the hearing loss ability. Exposure to toxic drugs or insecticides can lead to hearing impairment.
Types of Tinnitus
The classification of the five sense organs is as follows: sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing.
Tinnitus is the perception of noise or ringing in the ears. A common problem, tinnitus affects about 1 in 10 people. It can improve with treatment. Treating an identifying underlying cause something helps other treatments reduce or mask the noise, making tinnitus less noticeable.
There is two type of tinnitus; subjective tinnitus and objective tinnitus. Tinnitus is usually subjective tinnitus, meaning that there is no sound detectable by other means. Subjective tinnitus has also been called Tinnitus Aurium.
Subjective tinnitus:- It is the most frequent type of tinnitus. It can have many causes but most commonly it results from hearing loss. When tinnitus is caused by the disorders of the inner ear and auditory nerve, a frequent cause is noise exposure that damages hair cells and loss in the inner ear.
Objective tinnitus:- It is a type of tinnitus your doctor can hear when he or she does an examination. This rare type of tinnitus may be caused by a blood vessel problem, a middle ear bone condition or muscle contractions.
Anyone can experience tinnitus, as these factors may increase your risk:-
Loud noise exposure, prolonged exposure to loud noise can damage the tiny sensory hair cells in your ear that transmit sound to your brain. Main factors of tinnitus-
- Prolonged exposure to loud noise: can damage the tiny sensory hair cells in your ear that transmit sound to your brain.
- Age: As the age increases, a hearing problem arises because of the decline in a number of functioning nerve fibers.
- Gender: Men are one or more likely to experience tinnitus as compared to women.
- Smoking: Smokers have a higher risk of developing tinnitus.
- Cardiovascular problems: Conditions that affect your blood flow, such as high blood pressure or narrowed arteries, can increase your risk of tinnitus.
Reasons Behind Hearing loss
Aging is also considered one of the popular reasons behind deafness. Hearing loss may occur in one or both ears. In children, hearing problems can affect the ability to learn spoken the language and in adults, it can cause work-related problems. Older people experiencing deafness become lonely. Tinnitus and deafness both are co-related. The hearing loss or deafness is the after stage of tinnitus.
Tinnitus involves the perception of the annoying sensation of hearing sound in the absence of external sound. Tinnitus symptoms include these types of noises in your ears:
These noises may vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal, and you may hear it in one or both ears. In some cases, the sound can be so loud it can interfere or reduce your ability to concentrate or hear actual sound. Tinnitus can be temporary as well as permanent.
Tinnitus can cause serious effects to quality of life. It affects people differently. If you are suffering from tinnitus you may experience:
- Sleep problems
- Trouble concentrating
- Memory problems
- Anxiety and irritability
Treating these complications may not affect tinnitus directly, but it can help you feel better.
In many cases, tinnitus loss is the result of something new that can’t be prevented. Some precautions can help-
- Turn down the volume-long-term exposure to amplified music with no ear protection or listening to music at very high volume through headphones can cause hearing loss and tinnitus.
- Take care of your cardiovascular health. Regular exercise, eating right and taking other steps to keep your blood vessels healthy can help prevent tinnitus linked to blood vessel disorders.
Treating the health condition
- To deal with your tinnitus, your physician will first try to diagnose any underlying, treatable circumstance that may additionally be associated with your symptoms. If tinnitus is due to a health condition, your physician may additionally be capable to take steps that ought to reduce the noise. Examples include:
- Earwax removal. Removing earwax can limit tinnitus symptoms.
- Treatment of blood vessel condition. vascular prerequisites may additionally require medication, surgical procedure or some other cure to address the problem.
- Changing your medication. If a drug treatment you are taking appears to be the reason of tinnitus, your doctor may additionally endorse to end or decrease the drug or switch to a special medication.
- In some instances, white noise may additionally help repress the sound so that it is much less bothersome. Your medical doctor may additionally propose the use of a digital machine to suppress the noise. Devices include:
- White noise machines. These devices, which produce pretended environmental sounds such as falling rain or ocean or river waves, are often a wonderful therapy for tinnitus. You may additionally favor attempting a white noise machine with pillow audio system to help you sleep. Fans, humidifiers, dehumidifiers and air conditioners in the bedroom also can also assist cover the internal noise at night.
- Hearing aids. These are helpful if you have to listen to troubles as properly as tinnitus.
- Masking devices. It is comparable to listening to aids and is worn in the ear. These units produce a continuous, low-level white noise that suppresses tinnitus symptoms.
- Tinnitus conditioning. A wearable gadget supplies which are individually programmed with a tonal track to mask the specific frequencies of the tinnitus which you experience. Over time, this approach might also to adapt the tinnitus, thereby helping you not to focus on it. Counseling is regularly an element of tinnitus retraining.
- Drugs cannot treatment tinnitus, but in some instances, they may help decrease the severity of symptoms, sensations or complications. Possible medicines include:
- Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline and nortriptyline, have been used with some success. However, these medicines are commonly used for only extreme tinnitus, as they can motive difficult facet effects, inclusive of dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and heart problems.
- Alprazolam (Niravam, Xanax) might also help reduce tinnitus symptoms, however, facet effects can encompass drowsiness and nausea. It can additionally turn out to be habit-forming.
The advancement of science and technology has made sure that no one should be left out because of their disabilities. Different types of hearing aids are provided for the people who have deafness. We can manage Tinnitus through reassurance and psychotherapy.
There are other techniques which we can use in the initial stage, that include sedation and tranquilization. Masking of tinnitus, during sleeping, using other sound is another advantageous way. People who are unable to afford treatment are somehow in one way or the other can get benefit from their programs. Moreover, if a person needs to have the hearing ability then he/she must ensure that the ear isn’t exposed to high level of noise. The ear must be kept clean and regular medical check-ups help in maintaining a good hearing health.
Hearing impaired people must get support and equal treatment. This helps in faster recovery of the patients. We all are equal in eyes of God, therefore, each one of us must respect the other.
- Pulsatile Tinnitus: Hearing Heartbeat, Fluttering, Whooshing Sound in Ear
- New guidelines for Tinnitus Treatment – New Therapies
- Top Hearing Aids for Tinnitus Which Help Reduce Ringing in Ears