If you have a moderate hearing loss then you are not able to hear soft to moderately loud noise. You are also unable to clearly understand speech in a noisy background.
A degree of hearing loss depends on the range of decibels or softer sound that an individual can hear. In the moderate hearing loss, people cannot hear sound between 40 to 70 dB. People may not able to hear sound in normal conversation like the ringing of the phone or answering a call. They get difficulty in hearing without their hearing aids. Also, it can be difficult to follow or hear sounds during normal conversations. Depending on an individual’s hearing health, a moderate hearing loss can also be improved by using a hearing aid or middle ear implants.
Hearing loss is divided into categories.
The most common categories of hearing loss classification are mild hearing loss, moderate hearing loss, severe hearing loss, and profound hearing loss.
- Mild Hearing loss: Patients with a mild hearing loss of hearing have difficulty understanding the sound between 20-39 decibels. They can not hear soft tones like a ticking clock or dribbling tap.
- Moderate hearing loss: The difficulty in hearing is between 40-69 decibels. Moderate hearing loss is an exaggerated form of light hearing loss
- Severe hearing loss: Patients exhibiting a severe hearing loss have difficulty hearing between 70-89 decibels. Those who have such hearing impairment, they can usually only communicate if the speaker is standing at a close distance.
- Profound hearing loss: With a deep hearing loss or deafness, a patient can not hear up to 90 decibels. This is the most serious form of hearing loss. Thus, patients often have to rely on visual communication.
Moderate hearing loss treatment:
Moderate hearing loss treatment comes under sensorineural hearing loss.
Currently, there are neither medicinal nor surgical remedies for sensorineural hearing loss. Therefore the provision of appropriate hearing aid is recommended. These days, auditory systems work with state-of-the-art digital technology, processing sound signals (similar to small computers) in smaller processors. Thanks to this modern technology, these tools are able to adjust the environmental conditions and separate noise from a person’s voice. There are several hearing aids for a person with moderate hearing loss.
Types Of Hearing Aids For The People Suffering From Moderate Hearing Loss
Behind-The-Ear (BTE) Hearing aids that rest behind the ears and accommodate a larger battery as well as stronger amplification.
Receiver-In-the-Ear (RITE) Hearing devices tend to be comfortable as they keep the ear canal open in order to reduce plugged-up sensation.
In-The-Ear (ITE) These instruments are used for a wide range of hearing losses. It rests inside the ear rather than behind it.
In-The-Canal (ITC) and Completely-In-The-Canal (CIC) Instruments are generally smaller than ITE devices. They are more discrete than other devices. They should not effective with losses add require more manual dexterity.
Impact of moderate hearing loss –
- Kids not able to hear important element which result in shorter vocabulary.
- Due to extreme concentration becomes tired easily.
- Trouble in pronouncing words.
- Sometimes result in misrepresenting others.
- Difficulty in understanding each word in a sentence.
Is moderate hearing loss considered a disability-
The benefits of social security Disability are available for profound hearing loss or deafness, But not for moderate or mild hearing loss. To qualify for disability benefits for hearing loss you must qualify the word recognition test. You should not be able to replicate more than 40% of the list of standardized words spoken in the word recognition test.
Some tips for Moderate Hearing loss:
Children generally copy others while speaking at home which increases chances of moderate hearing loss being overlooked and reduce the misconception people have for the moderate hearing loss that it is not important. It becomes very important to detect mild hearing loss at an early stage.
You must consult a hearing professional for treatment. They evaluate your condition on the basis of the hearing test for the moderate hearing loss and give you the best hearing aid depending on your health.
A hearing aid helps in the moderate sensorineural hearing loss. Low pitched sound increases by Hybrid hearing and missing a high pitched sound with hybrid hearing also get back. Sometimes in moderately severe cases, Cochlear implants are suggested when the hearing is not clear enough in adults.
You should wear the hearing aid on a regular basis and have a healthy diet. You should avoid food at low temperature because that affects your inner ear canal. Try to use hearing aid while communicating with someone so that you can easily have a conversation with others. You should take care of your hearing aid devices and take your hearing test once or twice in a week.
We have one of the best hearing aids specialists in Delhi. We provide best hearing aids with mapping speech facility. For any trouble visit our website and book appointment otherwise dial our toll-free number +91-9899437202 for any query.