How to improve Hearing? Foods & Nutrition That Boost Hearing
- Last Updated: Dec 8th, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Health & Wellness
Auditory problems mostly appear because of ageing but recently more and more people have this kind of problems no matter their age, sex or race. Luckily there are some foods & nutrients that can greatly improve deafness and prevent hearing loss. These natural foods boost your immunity and are part of the estimated average requirement (EAR) of your daily nutrition. Before moving ahead let’s have a look at some of the study & research done in the history.
During 1984, European found a research that some of the people who are going through a hearing loss problem has some little improvement when they were treated with the Vitamin A and Vitamin E.
As per another research, when your body has the deficiency of Vitamin A, then it results in the decline of the number of sensory cells which generally found in the nose, tongue, as well as the inner ear.
Some more studies were done in 1993 which clarify the fact that the Vitamin A can regenerate auditory hair cells in the mammal’s body. Furthermore, during 2009, a research happened in Japan and it was found that person with highest blood serum in their body with the Vitamin A has the lower risk of having the hearing loss.
Lastly, in 2014, it was found by the researchers that a deficiency of Vitamin A during a pregnancy period, may move the offsprings into the malformation to the inner ear and the sensorineural hearing loss.
Foods that improve hearing
Hearing loss occurs when your ability of hearing become so less that it could affect your hearing speech. The cause of Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss is still suspicious. The Zinc or intravenous magnesium can improve your hearing impairments.
Tinnitus which is characterized by a chronic or non-chronic ringing in the ears, is improved by a folate (Vitamin B9). Chances of recovery of noise-induced hearing loss may be increased by the Astaxanthin.
Food make your hearing loss better or worse than the previous state, it depends on your eating habits. Minerals is a good source that keeps your hearing loss problems healthy. Not only hearing, but overall health depends on the diet of an individual. Your life depends on what you eat. Consume a well-balanced diet to live a healthy and well-balanced life. Consume junk and quality of life disappears like a bubble. A proper diet and healthy life go hand in hand.
Therefore, there is a strong relationship between the amount of food we have and longevity of life. It’s not about how much you eat, it’s about your caloric intake. This can be represented by a simple equation- Wanna live 10 years longer? Consume 10% lesser calories daily. It will ultimately slow down your ageing process which directly affects your hearing.
The Nutrients like astaxanthin, vitamin A, folate, zinc, and magnesium are really helpful in improving hearing abilities. Hearing loss happens due to the nutritional imbalances. An age-related hearing loss may be reversible.
Way to prevent hearing loss:-
- Never listen to the music at high volume or choose the best noise canceling headphone.
- Always use ear protection when you are around the loud machinery in the workplace or at home.
- Protect your ear from loud concerts or sports events.
- Always go for the hearing test if you have already heard the problem.
- Turn down the volume of TV, radio, MP4, because of loud music, the risk for your ear increases.
Nutrients that protect and improve hearing
Lack of nutrients can cause to age related hearing loss and other hearing disorders. As we all know that vitamin A is good for vision but we have to take care of our ears with the help of the various nutrients. It is the fact that the lack of B12 can affect your ear in hearing loss.
There are various of nutrients which can improve the hearing loss problem. Some nutrients that are beneficial for your hearing:
- Carotenoids, especially astaxanthin and Vitamin A
- Vitamin B12
- Omega 3s
- Vitamin C, E, and Glutathione
- Alpha Lipoic Acid
Deficiencies of Vitamin A is universal on a global scale. Lack of Vitamin A results in reduction in amount of nerve cells in the nose, tongue, as well as in the ear. Deficiency occur due to poor diets, chronic diseases, and ageing processes. It is said that the pregnant women could not take too much of vitamin A as this will cause a fetal damage in itself. And the deficiency during the pregnancy may predispose to damage of the inner ear and hearing loss.
Folate and B- complex
Folate is the cure for the people who were suffering from the tinnitus. B-complex vitamin (vitamin B9) is very useful for age-related deafness with the high blood level of homocysteine.
It helps in regenerating the new growth of the cell in the body and also helps in the circulation of the body which gives the overall health of the hair cells in your ears.
It seems that it was difficult in converting folic acid into the bioactive from in the early days. This is because of the body that uses folic acid to metabolize homocysteine which reduces the circulation. You can found that in children the folic acid are easily converted.
The important thing is that if you are taking the Vitamin B supplement then make sure that it contains a naturally folate rather than synthetic folic acid.
The most common way to increase your folate level is to eat lots of raw, fresh, and green leafy vegetables. You can get your increasing folate level either by food or by folic supplements. Spinach, turnip greens and broccoli are all good sources of folate.
Generally, Vitamin B level is to eat lots of contemporary, raw and organic green leafy vegetables. Through this, you can obtain your B-complex vitamin from food instead of B supplements (folic acid). So, for vitamin B, it is biologically active by the type – L-5-MTHF. This is often the shape that’s ready to cross the blood-brain barrier.
According to the research, Zinc is very useful in treating a sudden, unexplained loss of hearing loss which is also known as the sudden sensorineural hearing loss, which is only treated by the high dose steroids.
Zinc has anti-viral properties. It can also prevent cold viruses from replicating or attaching your nasal membranes. Zinc also has the properties of immune boosting. It allows your body to mount a stronger first response at the onset of a viral infection.
It has the properties to heal the wounds of the body. Some studies also shows that zinc is also responsible for the normal tinnitus hearing problem.
Foods rich in zinc include beef, pork and dark-meat chicken, cashews, almonds, peanuts, beans, split peas, lentils, oysters and dark chocolate. Try making homemade granola bars to get your fill of zinc. Nuts and dark chocolate work great as key ingredients, along with oats, popped quinoa, raisins, dried cranberries and coconut flakes. Honey and nut butters work well as binders.
Zinc are found in protein rich food like oysters, beef, pork, cashews, almonds, peanuts, beans, dark-meat chicken, split peas, dark chocolate. Zinc can increase your ear resistance’s from the starting phase of the age related hearing loss.
Magnesium is also responsible for improving the sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Research also shows that the person who were treated with magnesium like vitamin A, C, and E were protected form the noise-induced hearing loss. According to a study, 48 percent of patients achieved recovery after receiving magnesium in combination with carbogen inhalation. This is believed that it happens because the magnesium fights with the effects of the radicals emitted during the loud noises- it behaves like the barrier which protects for the soft hair cells found in the inner ear. Carbogen inhalation is a combination of carbon dioxide and oxygen gas.
It includes fruits and vegetables like banana, spinach, tomato, broccoli etc. Lack of magnesium can shrinks the blood vessels found inside the inner ear. So be sure of taking magnesium in full needs of the body.
Some points that reduced the effectiveness of treatments :
- Vestibular Symptoms (Patients who had vertigo)
- Delaying treatment for more than eight days after onset.
Potassium generally founds in bananas, potatoes, spinach, lima beans, tomatoes, raisins, apricots, melons, oranges, yogurt and low-fat milk. It is usually responsible for the control of the amount of the fluid in the body, which is important for the hearing health problem. As fluid in the inner ear, that part which translates the sound into an electrical impulses that brain interprets as sound, is very much dependent upon potassium. In an adults the level automatically drops off, this is the reason that the adults is more suffering from the age related hearing loss problem.
Vitamin B12 usually founds in meat, eggs, poultry, dairy products, as well as other food available from the animals. Those who have a lack of Vitamin B12 are at high risk as they can affect your body balance with many other things. This is usually for those patients who are suffering from the tinnitus and balance disorder.
Recently a research has proved that having this mineral can reduce the effect of the age related hearing loss problem. It mainly found in fish such as trout, sardines, salmon, and tuna, walnuts, flax and chia seeds. All this is very helpful in hearing loss problem.
It is shown that the women who eats fish regularly has the less risk of having hearing loss problem. Scientists found that the main thing is that the Omega 3 fats strengthens the blood vessels in the ear’s sensory system.
Omega 3 is also helpful for brain functioning i.e. by transmitting signals between brain and ears more effectively. The main reason behind this claim is that Omega 3 fat is responsible to strengthen the blood vessels in the ear’s sensory system. Therefore, fish is our ear’s friend, so stash up on it. Some more food for omega 3 supply, krill oil, soybean oil, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, walnuts, coconut oil, olive oil, purslane, and sacha inchi oil.
Vitamin C, E, and Glutathione
Vitamin C and E act as hearing loss supplements that strengthen your overall immune system. It also reduce the risk of ear infections. The source is vegetables such as oranges and fruits such as bell peppers.
Whereas Vitamin C boosts the functioning of the immune system to resist ear infections. The source to fulfil the need for Vitamin C, E includes vegetables (such as bell pepper, broccoli) and fruits (such as oranges, kiwi, papaya). For vitamin C, consume citrus fruits, fresh herbs, strawberries, and guavas. For vitamin E, consume sunflower seeds, mango, olive oil, leafy greens, and almonds.
Alpha Lipoic Acid
It is an enzyme facilitator as well as an antioxidant. They are created in our body in small amounts and same with the food we eat. It protects hearing by working against free radical damage while supporting nerve system functioning. It helps in generation of mitochondria in the hair cells of our inner ear. The requirement of Alpha Lipoic Acid can be fulfilled by consuming broccoli, spinach, and sweet potatoes.
Restored Hearing in Mice by increasing NT3 production:-
NT3 is a source of communication which occurs between your ears and your brain. NT3 helps establish questionable ribbon pont that link the hair cells in your sense organ to nerve cells in your brain. Once you went to very loud noise, these ribbon synapses are damaged, and can leads to the hearing loss.
Normal aging may also injure your ribbon synapses, therefore NT3 could counteract traditional age-related deafness as well. To spice up production of NT3, the researchers use conditional factor recombination. As explained by Medical News.
NT3 allow the scientists to activate the genes in particular cells which administrate a drug that cause the cells to read the extra copies of a gene that was inserted into them. For the further studies the team used the technique to activate more NT3 genes which has introduced to the supporting cells of the inner ear in mice that defends partially by loud noise.
They then started to plan the drugs which are identified early known as tamoxifen. This started producing the same effect as the protein. It has the potential which restore the hearing loss in humans. The scientists found that the gene therapy technique which used in this study has the potential work in humans but a drug-based method would be simpler. A drug could be repeatedly administered for as long as it takes for hearing to be restored.
Astaxanthin Raises NT3 expression:-
While researchers are looking for a drug resolution to raise NT3. Astaxanthin, that is an element of the antioxidant family, is believed to be one in all the foremost potent antioxidants, nature has got to supply. It’s FAR harder than carotene, alpha-tocopherol, lycopene, and lutein, as an example, and exhibits terribly sturdy radical scavenging activity that protects your cells, organs as well as body tissues from aerobic injury. It is also a strong medicament and is in a position to cross each barrier and even the blood-retinal barrier.
Boosting BDNF may also improve your hearing:
Earlier analysis has shown that, additionally to NT3, brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) plays an important role in the development and survival of sense modality neurons in your brain. A 1996 study, found that loss of sense modality hair cells and sense modality neurons is prevented by therapies that boost either NT3 or BDNF. Interestingly, one lifestyle issue that naturally boosts BDNF is exercise. It’s intriguing to take a position whether or not exercise might also facilitate stop hearing disorder through this mechanism.
How to increase hearing power
Moreover, the people is suffered from the hearing loss due to various causes like noise or genetic diseases or infectious diseases while the use of a large amount of drugs as well as aging. Half of the ways are avoided by most of the people, which later become the cause of noise induced hearing loss problem.
The following recommendations can help protect your hearing and avoid hearing loss:
- Vegetable oils as they contain too many Omega 6 fatty acids.
- Margarine/Partially Hydrogenated Oils found mostly in processed foods
- High fat meats, especially those treated with nitrates/nitrites (preservatives)
- Whole/2% milk – use a dairy substitute such as almond, rice, or coconut milk
- Cream cheese – replace with goat cheese or part skim organic ricotta
- Processed cheeses, such as American – opt for organic/grass-fed hard cheese
- Sugar and artificial sweeteners – limit these or replace with Stevia, honey, or real maple syrup
- Refined carbohydrates – These include white bread, pasta, and any foods containing enriched flour, which means nutrients have been removed from the grain.
- Sodium – it is needed as in small quantities and the packages foods contain a large amount of sodium.
- Use carefully fitted headphones– allow your ear to listen to low volume music etc
Improve hearing naturally by protecting your ears
There is much treatment that will help to improve hearing loss naturally. Some of the best methods to improve and prevent hearing loss naturally are as follows:
- Take a proper diet for hearing loss
- Avoid noise environments
- Improve your blood circulation
- Use home remedies for deafness
- Remove earwax
- Take supplements to improve hearing
Here are some more ways to protect your ears and your hearing health from future issues.
- Turn the volume down – If you like to enjoy music through headphones or earbuds, you can protect your ears by following the 60:60 rule. The suggestion is to use headphones at no more than 60% volume for no more than 60 minutes a day.
- Give your ears time to recover – If you have exposure to loud noises for a prolonged period of time, like at a concert or a bar, your ears need time to recover. If you can, step outside for five minutes often in order to let them rest.Researchers found that ears need an average of 16 hours of quiet to recover from one loud night out.
- Stop using cotton swabs in your ears – It’s common to use cotton swabs to clean the wax out of the ear canal, but this is definitely not advisable. A little bit of wax in the ears is not only normal but also important, to stop dust and other harmful particles from entering the canal. The ears are self-cleaning organs. So, inserting anything inside your ear canals risks damaging your eardrum.
- Keep your ears dry – Excess moisture allows bacteria to enter and attack the ear canal. This can cause swimmer’s ear or other types of ear infections. This can be dangerous for your hearing ability. Be sure to dry your ears using a towel after bathing or swimming. If you still feel water in the ear, tilt your head to the side and tug lightly on the earlobe to let the water out.
- Get up and move – Cardio exercises like walking, running, or cycling gets the blood pumping to all body parts, including ears. This helps the internal parts of ears’ stay healthy and functioning to their maximum potential.
- Manage stress levels – Both Stress and anxiety have been linked to both temporary and permanent tinnitus. High stress levels can cause your body to go into fight or flight mode. This is an instinctual reaction that releases adrenaline into the body to help you either fight or flee from danger. This process puts more pressure on your nerves, blood flow, body heat, etc. This pressure or stress can travel up into your inner ear and contribute to tinnitus symptoms. Smoking can also be a contributing factor for tinnitus symptoms.
- Get regular check-ups – Incorporate hearing screenings of a baby and your own into your regular checkups as hearing loss develops gradually. The recommendation is to have annual hearing consultations with a hearing healthcare professional. That way, you’ll be more likely to recognize signs of hearing loss and take action as soon as you do. Taking action is important because untreated hearing loss, besides detracting from the quality of life and the relationship strength, has been linked to other health conditions like depression, dementia, and heart disease.
- Use earplugs around loud noises – Clubs, concerts, chainsaws, are some of the reasons for you to shout, so the person with you can hear your voice.
Earplugs are convenient and easy to obtain. Even custom-fitted earplugs are also available i.e. Musicians’ earplugs which have filters to allow a person to hear conversations and music, still, reducing harmful sound levels while maintaining the original sound quality as much as possible.