There are no standard treatment options for Children With Down’s Syndrome. But early treatment is one of the best ways to cure Down’ Syndrome. The treatments are based on a child’s unique medical issue and developmental profile.
Some medical problems associated with Down’s Syndrome such as Hearing problems, Cataracts, Thyroids problems, and Seizure disorders, common in people.
If you need more information or you have a question regarding Children with Down’s Syndrome, you can discuss it with our HearingSol healthcare professionals, just give us a call on +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.
The all professional who interacts with the children who are suffering from the Down’s Syndrome should provide stimulation and encouragement.
There are some important treatment options For Children With Down’s Syndrome as follows:
- Early Intervention and Educational Therapies
- Treatment Therapies
- Drugs and Supplements
- Assistive Device
1: Early Intervention and Educational Therapies
The early intervention is the range of specialized initiatives and resources that experts provide to the child with Down’s Syndrome and their families. There are a lot of children with Down syndrome are eligible for free, appropriate public education under federal law.
However, most states present such programs that provide a type of services for children up to 3 years. These programs can promote a child’s physical and mental growth. They usually have doctors and teachers who are specially trained to help children learn various types of skills, such as how to:
- Feed yourself and wear
- Roll over, crawl, and walk
- Play and be around others
- Think and solve problems
- Talk to others, listen and understand
The Public Law 105-17 (2004): The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) makes it possible for children with disabilities to get free educational services. And also devices to help them learn as much as they can. Every child is entitled to these services from birth. Through the end of high school, or until age 21, whichever comes first.
2. Treatment Therapies
There are so many therapies which are, as listed below:
- Physical Therapy: It includes the activities as well as exercises that can help to build motor skills, increase muscle strength, and improve posture and balance. With the help of this therapy, It can help your child to work within his functional limitations.
- Speech Therapy: The therapy can help the child to enhance their communication skills and use it very efficiently. The experts try to teach copying a sound and various activities are involved. The child suffering from Down`s syndrome can comprehend the language. For conveying their talks experts taught some sign language until they learn to speak.
- Emotional or Behavioral Therapies: find useful responses for both desirable and also undesirable behaviors. Children are suffering from Down’s Syndrome may become frustrated. Because of that, the difficulty in communicating. They may develop compulsive behaviors, and they may have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and other types of mental health issues. Such types of therapists trying to understand why a child is acting out, create ways as well as strategies for avoiding or preventing these situations from occurring.
- Occupational Therapy: It helps to find a way to adjust everyday tasks. And also conditions to match a child’s needs and abilities. This type of therapy helps in teaching self-care skills such as eating, getting dressed, writing as well as using a computer.
3. Drugs and Supplements
There are some people suffering from Down’s Syndrome take amino acid supplements or drugs that can affect their brain activity. The newer psychoactive drugs that are much more specific, have been developed. There are no controlled clinical studies of these medications for Down’s Syndrome have demonstrated their safety and efficacy.
4. Assistive Device
There is any type of material, equipment, tool as well as technology that enhances the learning or makes tasks easier to complete. It includes the amplification devices which are used for hearing problems, bands that can help with movement, special pencils for make writing easier, and also touchscreen computers.
Common conditions associated with Down syndrome
People with Down syndrome often have medical conditions that are either present at birth or develop over time. However, Doctors can help manage these conditions with medicines or other care. Common conditions of Down syndrome can include:
- Intellectual disability (lower IQ)
- Heart problems, frequently present at birth
- Thyroid abnormalities
- Hearing and vision problems
- Gastrointestinal problems, like constipation, gastroesophageal reflux, and celiac disease
- Challenges with autism, social skills, communication, and repetitive behavior
Alzheimer’s disease, due to which there is a problem in memory and thinking in old age