Before answering this question lets have a look at the procedure of stapedectomy.
What is Stapedectomy?
- Stapedectomy is a surgical procedure of the middle ear performed in order to improve hearing. Patients suffering from otosclerosis and significant hearing loss need the surgical ear treatment called a stapedectomy.
- During a stapedectomy, an incision is made in the skin of the ear canal, the skin and eardrum are lifted to expose the stapes bone, and the stapes bone is removed. The stapes bone is replaced by the prosthesis. Afterward, the eardrum and skin of the canal are laid back.
The procedure of stapedectomy takes about one hour to perform.
postoperative activities of stapedectomy
Packing is removed after 1 to 2 weeks of surgery. Some bloody drain is removed after 1-3 days after covering. Thus after 3 weeks, the patient can start his physical activity as he will start to hear by 4 weeks. Thus hearing may improve right away, but it takes about 2-4 weeks to improve hearing. Patient visits the doctor about 7-10 days after surgery to remove and packing.
Expected postoperative changes of stapedectomy
Expected post-surgical changes can be noticed by a change in hearing, numbness, tingling or pain of the ear, abnormal taste, ringing in the ear, or a scant amount of drainage from the ear. As healing after surgery takes an appropriate time. It generally takes about 4 weeks for the ear to heel.
By the fourth week, the patient notices the improvement in hearing. As the ear is healed by 3-6 after surgery, the postoperative audiogram is performed. Then second postoperative audiogram is performed after 3 months.
Stapedectomy post-op experiences
surgery: Possible risks
- Facial weakness/numbness
- Tympanic membrane tear
- Tinnitus or ringing
- Hearing not improved
Things you should expect after surgery:
- The person needs to be very still after the first 24 hours after surgery
- You should avoid the movements while turning your head, rollover, or get up
- The hearing is going to fade during the first few weeks after your surgery due to the formation of the blood clot in the ear canal. Your hearing will improve gradually as the clot shrinks.
- Try to avoid lying on your operated ear
- Avoid blowing your nose
- Try to cough or sneeze with mouth open in order to reduce the pressure in the ear
- Ear drops will be prescribed by the doctor and how to use it.
- Initially, some drainage may be faced by you (bloody in color).
- This may stop approximately 3 days
- Dizziness, if it persists you need to call ENT clinic
- A metallic taste may be developed by you, it is going to be normal within a few months
- Cannot get water inside the ear
- Showering need to be avoided until you get a post-operative checkup
- For avoiding water in the ears: Vaseline jelly need to be applied on the cotton ball and end up placing that Vaseline side in the ear (this will going to create water barrier)
- Say no to lifting for 2 weeks over 5 lbs
- For post-operative checkup, you need to return to the ENT clinic.
Who needs Stapedectomy?
People having otosclerosis and significant hearing loss are the patients for a stapedectomy. Each patient gets an audiometric hearing test and a consultation to determine the appropriate stapedectomy. After the surgery, it will take around four weeks to heal the ear properly. A patient will notice an improvement in his hearing. More than 70% of the cases are successful.
Need to call ENT clinic or Case Manager in case you are experiencing any of the following:
• Drainage that persists
• Increased pain
• Fever of 101° or more
• Sudden deafness
• ringing constantly
Thus utmost care is needed from surgery to the postoperative audiogram. As in 2-3 weeks, the patient regains his hearing ability slowly. Thus proper care, precautions, and patience are needed by the doctor as well as patient till the patient regains his hearing power after stapedectomy.
You can purchase the latest hearing aids at a fair price through HearingSol, If you need more information or you have a query about Stapedectomy or Hearing Loss, just give us a call on +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.