- August 4, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Student: Audiology and Speech Therapy
Audiology – Career | Salary | Education
Audiology is the learning branch of speech and hearing disorders. This becomes an official specialization due to the increase of patients. This is very well respected and satisfied one. An audiologist is a person who is trained in the area of audiology. They are trained to diagnose and treat the hearing, tinnitus or balancing problem. There are many course in India for audiology. This career will help another people who are suffering any type of hearing problem.
There are various technologies that are used by them to check whether an individual is hearing impaired or not.
Types of Audiologist jobs:-
- Audiologist- Vancouver, WA
- Audiologist- EDU Healthcare
Audiologist Working:- Audiologist is a person who diagnoses, manage and treat the hearing or ear related problems of a patient.
Duties of Audiologists:- Some of the duties of Audiologist are given below:
- Examine patients who are suffering from hearing or ear related problems.
- Check the reports of the examination and analyse problems.
- Determine and carry out treatment to meet patients’ target.
- Provide treatment for tinnitus problem. This is a condition that causes ringing in the ear.
- Fit and allocate hearing aids.
- Give the advice to patients and their families on ways to listen and communicate, such as by lip reading or through technology.
- Check patients regularly to evaluate hearing and balance and to continue or change the treatment plan.
- Record patient improvement.
- Research the reason and treatment of hearing and balance disability.
- Educate patients on ways to prevent hearing loss.
Devices that are used by the Audiologist:
Some of the devices which are used by the audiologist are computers, audio meters and many other devices. These devices are used by the audiologist to test the hearing ability and balance of a patient. They work to find out the extent of hearing damage and the cause of the hearing loss.
Audiologist checks the loudness at which a person begins to hear the sound. They also measure the ability of a person to distinguish between sound and understanding speech therapy. Firstly audiologist evaluates psychological information to check the impact of hearing loss on a patient.
To improve the hearing of a patient Audiologist will do the following treatment:
- Cleaning Wax out of ears canals.
- Fitting and checking hearing aids.
- Fitting the patient with cochlear implants.
Cochlear implants are the tiny devices that are inserted under the skin near the ear canal. These devices transmits the electrical impulses directly to the auditory nerve in the brain. This type of treatment is suitable for various type of hearing loss patients. Audiologist also gives the advice to another type of hearing loss patients so that they can cope with that. These treatments include lip reading or by using other techniques.
They also provide the treatment of the patients which are suffering from vertigo or other balance problems. They work with the patients and suggests for many types of head movements or positioning. So that they feel relax from the problems. Some of the audiologists specialize in working with elderly or with children. Other provide the treatment for the hearing loss prevention. To protect the hearing of workers on the job, Audiologist may design some of the products. The audiologist who are self-employed hire, other employees, keep records, other equipment and supplies, and complete other tasks related to executing a business.
Work Environment for Audiologist:-
Most of the audiologist work in health-care facilities such as hospitals and physician’s offices. They also work in the schools for children by taking the permission of the administration. Other work in the personal and health care stores. Some of the audiologist work on the contract basis. For example:- An audiologist who is contracted by a school might travel between completely different schools to supply various services.
To become an audiologist what we have to do:
To become an audiologist you will need a doctoral degree that must be licensed in all of the states. Requirements for the licensure vary by states.
Education of Audiologist:
The Doctoral degree in Audiology (Au.D.) is a graduate program. The program of audiology typically completes in 4 years. Graduate coursework consists of anatomy, physiology, physics, genetics, normal and abnormal communication development, diagnosis and treatment, pharmacology, and ethics. Programs also require supervised clinical practice. Graduation from a program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation is required to get a license in most of the states.
Important qualities that are required in an audiologist:-
Communication skills:- Audiologists need to communicate test results and proposed treatments. So that patient can clearly understand the situation and options. They also may need to work on teams with other health care providers and education specialists regarding patient care.
Kindness:- Audiologist should be kind. They may need to work with the patients which are frustrated because of their hearing loss. So audiologist should be kind and helpful for the patient.
Critical- thinking skills:- Audiologist need to be concentrated at the time of hearing test of their patients. They must be able to analyse the patient’s situation. So that they can provide the best treatment to the patients. They should have the alternative treatments in the situation if any of the hearing loss people deny for the initial treatment.
Patience:- Audiologist must work with the patients which require a lot of time and special care.
Problem-solving skills:- Problem-solving skills are required in an audiologist so that they can easily solve the problem of their patients by providing the best treatment. These skills are also required to find out the reasons behind the problem.
In May 2015, the median annual wage for audiologists was $74,980. The median wage is the wage at that the staff in associate degree occupation earned over that quantity and earned less. This is the small occupation and the chances of 3800 new jobs in the coming 10 year period. Employment of audiologist is projected to increase 29 percent from 2014 to 2024. In the coming years, the demand of audiologist will be on the boom. The reason behind this is the increment of hearing the loss in teens.
Hearing loss in teens happens due to the following reasons:-
- Hearing music at high volume.
- Injuries to the ear or head.
- Birth complications.
Hearing Aid devices are the best solution to the Hearing Loss. A hearing aid is a device that is used to amplify the sound. It is very helpful for the hearing loss people. This device consists of a microphone, loudspeaker, amplifier and a battery. This device comes with more features. Some of the features include wireless connectivity, telecoil and much more. Some of the hearing aid devices are more fashionable and provide many benefits. As the features in a hearing aid device increase, the price also increases. Many types of hearing aids are available. Each of the hearing aid having its own purpose. As we know there are many types of hearing loss. So every hearing aid is not suitable for a particular type of hearing loss.
There are three types of hearing loss:-
- Sensorineural Hearing Loss:- This is a permanent hearing loss that occurs due to the damage in the inner ear or the auditory nerve itself, which prevents the transfer of nerve signal to the brain.
- Conductive Hearing Loss:- This type of hearing loss when there is a damage in the outer ear or the middle ear that prevents the sound from being conducted to the inner ear.
- Mixed Hearing Loss:- This occurs when the ear sustains some sort of trauma. It is a combination of sensorineural and conductive hearing loss
Types of hearing aids:-
- Behind-The-Ear (BTE)
- Completely In Canal (CIC)
- In-The-Canal (ITC)
- In-The-Ear (ITE)
- Receiver-In-Canal (RIC)
- Invisible-In-The-Canal (IIC)
Careers related to the Audiologists:-
- Optometrists:- They check the eyes and the different components of the sensory system. They additionally analyse and treat visual issues and manage diseases and different disorders of the eyes. According to the requirement, they prescribe eyeglasses or contact lenses for the patients.
- Physical Therapists:- Physical therapists typically referred to as PTs, help injured or unwell people. They help in improving their movement and managing their pain. They are generally a part of the rehabilitation, treatment, and interference of patients with chronic conditions, illnesses, or injuries.
- Physicians and Surgeons:-They analyse and treat fracture or diseases. Physicians examine patients then take medical histories and then visit medications. After that, they order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests. They give the advice to their patients on diet, hygiene, and preventive health-care. Surgeons check their patients to examine the injuries, like broken bones; diseases, like cancerous tumors; and deformities, like cleft palates.
- Psychologists:- Psychologists study psychological options, emotional, and social processes and behavior by perceptive, decoding and recording, however, relate to a minimum of each other and their environments.
- Speech-Language Therapist:- They are also known as a Speech-language pathologist. They assess, diagnose, treat, and facilitate to stop communication and swallowing disorders in patients. Speech, language, and swallowing disorders resulting from a spread of causes, like stroke, brain injury, hearing disability, biological process delay, Parkinson’s illness, a congenital defect or syndrome.