Do you desire or wish to become an Audiologist or a Speech-Language Pathologist? If your answer is yes. then this article is very useful for you. Here, we have listed some best BASLP colleges and courses available in India.
This article covers all topics like eligibility, course details, best colleges, syllabus, admission procedure, career prospects, placements, and salary details. So let’s get started.
If you have a question about Bachelor of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology, you can discuss with our HearingSol experts, feel free to call us on +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.
- What is BASLP?
- BASLP Course Details
- Institute’s And Colleges of BASLP In India
- Eligibility for BASLP
- Admission Procedure of BASLP
- Career Opportunities After BASLP
What is BASLP?
BASLP (Bachelor of Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology) is an undergraduate or professional 4 year-long full-time program that was launched in the year 1992. The course involves various techniques and methods used for diagnosing and treatment of hearing, speech, and balance-related disorders in people.
This program combines both theoretical as well as practical knowledge which focuses on clinical teaching-learning. From the time of its inception, the number of enrolments in the BASLP course has increased progressively.
This course is designed for those who have qualified their Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) in science stream, from a recognized educational board. In India, admission to this course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test.
If we break down this 4-year program, then it will consist of 3 academic years of coursework (6 semesters) and 1 academic year of internship (2 semesters). The average course fee for BASLP in India ranges between INR 20k up to 4 lacs, varying across different universities/institutes.
Speech-language Pathologists and Audiologists are responsible for the assessment and treatment of a broad range of speech, voice, language, swallowing, and cognitive-communication impairments. This course aims to produce skilled and efficient manpower to work effectively with persons having communication disorders.
After successfully graduating this course, one can find employment in both governments as well as private sectors, such as:
- Schools or universities etc.
- Hearing aid and cochlear implant manufacturing
- Hearing Conservation Program in various industries
The average annual salary ranges between INR 2.5 to 7 lacs depending on the candidate’s expertise and experience in the field.
BASLP Course Details
It consists of two main subjects – Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- Audiology – It is the study & treatment of hearing loss and balance disorders. Audiologists are experts in the medical management of hearing & balance systems. Moreover, they can also teach in medical colleges, manage NGOs, Clinics, or private practices.
- Speech-Language Pathology – It is the science that deals in the study of speech, language, and disorders occurring in individuals of all ages, from infant to elderly.
So, BASLP course is designed to offer certain specialization to the eligible candidates regarding the audiology and speech-language pathology:
- To identify and treat stuttering, disarticulation, speech, and language problems
- Treating hearing impaired, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, autism, stroke/paralysis, larynx
- Learning disorder
- Diagnosing middle ear and inner ear disorders, auditory nerve, central auditory nervous system or differential diagnosis of any auditory disorder
- Techniques used to identify people with hearing impairment
- Management and elimination of voice, speech and hearing disorder
- To study normal and abnormal aspects of voice, speech, and language
- Can pursue advanced research in this discipline
Now you know the importance of this course, it is time to discuss the study material (Subjects) included in this course:
Subjects Covered Under BASLP Course
- Introduction to Speech and Language Pathology
- Introduction to Audiology
- Psychology Related to Speech and Hearing
- Clinical Work (Audiology)
- Basic Acoustic and Electronics
- Clinical Work (Speech Pathology)
- Basic Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Introduction to Linguists
- Clinical Work (Audiology)
- Voice and Laryngectomy
- Articulation and Phonological Disorders
- Educational Audiology
- Basic Statistics and Research Methods in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Diagnostic Audiology
- Clinical Work (Speech Pathology)
- Amplification and Assistive Devices for Hearing
- Community Oriented Professional Particles in Speech-Language Pathology
- Childhood Communication Disorders
- Pediatric Audiology
- Adult Neuro-communication Disorders
- Neuro-motor Speech Disorders
- Clinical Work (Speech Pathology)
- Rehabilitative Audiology
- Noise Measurement and Hearing Conservation
- Fluency and its Disorders
- A six month in hospitals and speech and hearing department linked with institutes or specialized schools for people.
- A six-month duration training in the number of steps according to the respective institutes.
After successfully completing the course, interested candidates may go for higher studies in the discipline, such as –
Higher Studies After BASLP Course
- M.Sc. in the molecular pathogenesis
- M.A in Communication Sciences and disorder
- MBA in healthcare management
- Doctoral research in the subject
- Master of Speech-Language Pathology course
- Master of Science in Speech, Pathology & Audiology
- Master of Special Education
- PG Diploma in Clinical Linguistics for SLP
- Master of Science in Audiology
- PG Diploma in Forensic Speech Sciences & Technology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Neuro-Audiology
Institute’s And Colleges of BASLP In India
There are many medical colleges or institutes in India offering a Bachelor’s degree in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology.
Here are some of the institutes/colleges listed below along with their location as well as approximate average annual fees:
|Institute Name||Location||Approx. average fees|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)||New Delhi||INR 1,100|
|University of Bombay||Mumbai||INR 5,100|
|Gujarat University||Gujarat||INR 10,000|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||New Delhi||INR 35,000|
|School of Allied Health Sciences, Manipal University||Manipal||INR 1,00,000|
|Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research||Chandigarh||INR 700|
|University of Madras||Chennai||INR 5,000|
|University of Mysore||Mysore||INR 10,000|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||INR 3,000|
|All India Institute & Special Hearing||Mysore||INR 10,300|
|Indian Institute of Health Management Research||Jaipur||INR 10,000|
|College of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology||Pune||INR 3,500|
|National Institute of Speech and Hearing||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 5,000|
|Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped||Mumbai||INR 18,700|
|Medical Trust Hospital||Cochin||INR 3,000|
BASLP Colleges In Delhi
People who have a qualified bachelor of audiology and speech-language pathology in India can find a number of gainful employment opportunities. Colleges for BASLP in Delhi. These include:
- Ashtavakra Institute of Rehabilitation Science and Research
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University – GGSIPU
- Rehabilitation Council of India
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
Such professionals are professionally responsible for:
- Conducting clinical activities with patients.
- Dispensing hearing aids and assistive listening devices.
- Conducting speech & hearing research.
- Teaching at special schools and universities.
Eligibility for BASLP
There is a minimum eligibility criterion followed for the admission in BASLP. The candidate needs to fulfill these criteria for admission.
- Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) in science stream, from a recognized educational board
- Minimum aggregate of 50% at 10+2 level (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates)
- The main subject at 10+2 level should be physics, chemistry, maths/biology/computer science/electronics/ psychology
- On a provisional basis, candidates waiting for their 10+2 results are also eligible
Admission Procedure of BASLP
Institutes admit candidates based on their performance in the relevant entrance exams conducted at the state, national, or institutional level, followed by the counseling process.
Some of the institutes even consider merit obtained at 10+2 level as the criteria for admission, while some conduct their own entrance tests. Admission procedure varies across the colleges.
Students participating in the counseling process need to clear two additional rounds i.e. Group Discussion and personal interview.
These rounds help in examining the general aptitude of the candidate required for the course. Then a merit list is generated by the institute, allocating seats to qualified candidates.
- Students are motivated and trained to improvise their theoretical knowledge and integrate knowledge into their clinical skills
- Students are encouraged to involve in various research activities
- Motivated to participate and present scientific research papers at national and international conferences.
- Audio-visual method supplemented with PPT, videos, etc.
- Clinical demonstration and teaching
- Concept mapping.
- The semester-based scheme- Two sessional exams
- Clinical conference presentations and evaluation
- Students are evaluated for their clinical practicum and clinical performance.
Here are some of the entrance examination conducted in the country for the admission to the BASLP course:
- GGSIPU UG Entrance Exam
- PGIMER UG Entrance Exam
- JIPMER UG Entrance Exam
- AIIMS UG (All India Institute of Medical Sciences Undergraduate) Entrance Exam
- NEET-UG (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Undergraduate) Entrance Exam
- Manipal University Entrance Exam
Career Opportunities After BASLP
Specialists who have qualifies Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology in India, have great employment opportunities. As the requirement of these specialists is far exceeding the supply.
Employment in popular areas:
- Hearing Aid Manufacturers
- Health care establishments
- Government & private hospitals
- Academic – Teaching for children with special need
These professionals are responsible for:
- Conducting speech and hearing research
- Conducting clinical activities with patients
- Dispensing hearing aid and assistive hearing devices
- Teaching to students with special needs at any special school as well as universities
Some Similar Jobs To Audiology And Speech-language Pathology
|Job Profile||Job Description||Avg. annual salary|
|Audiologists||They are specialized in Geriatrics, cochlear implants, hearing aid, tinnitus, auditory balance & processing, and pediatrics among others. They conduct clinical activities with their patients in a variety of settings & areas.||INR 3 to 7 lacs|
|Speech Pathology Reader||They are responsible for preventing assessing, diagnosing, and treating speech, language, social communication, cognitive-communication, and swallowing disorders in children and adults. If an individual faces any trouble in the social use of verbal or nonverbal communication, it is known as a social communication disorder.||INR 2 to 5.7 lacs|
|Clinical Supervisors||These supervisors are professionally responsible for overseeing casework and any professional issues of the employee. They promote the development of counseling skills and approaches through assessments and evaluations. They also need to be responsible for addressing ethical and legal issues within mental health counseling.||INR 2.5 to 5 lacs|
|Lecturer in special schools||The lecturers are responsible for teaching a small group of pupils within or outside the class. They need to employ some special skills such as teaching Braille to visually impaired students or sign language and lip reading to hearing-impaired students. There is a need to prepare lessons and adapt conventional teaching methods to meet the individual’s needs of pupils. They also use special equipment such as computer and audiovisual materials in order to stimulate interest in learning. They also assess children suffering from short-term or long-term learning difficulties etc.||INR 3 to 6 lacs|
|Teachers,||Teachers are professionally responsible for creating a lesson plan to teach those plans top entire class, individually or in a small group. They create tests. They also create and reinforce classroom rules, track student progress, and work with school administration for preparing students for such standardized tests.||INR 2 to 4.5 lacs|
|Researchers||They monitor the progress of research projects and coordinate information between departmental sections. They need to perform a wide and complex variety of assays, tests & studies. These people carry out highly specialized and advanced experiments for better methods of treatment for people with speech and hearing disorders. Researchers also need to collect, prepare, analyze, and evaluate specimens for tissue culture.||INR 3 to 7.5 lacs|
The BASLP course involves the methods and techniques used in diagnosing and treating hearing, speech-language, and balance-related disorders in individuals.
We hope that, once you finish reading this article, you will have enough knowledge of various colleges and courses of BASLP available in India.
If you need any advice or help related to this course, visit HearingSol Clinic in Delhi NCR or dial our toll-free number +91-9899437202. We are always glad to help you.
- List of Audiology Courses, speech language pathologist courses available in India.
- Speech Therapy Courses – Everything you need to be a Speech Therapist.