Acupuncture Therapy & Message Points For Hearing Loss
- Last Updated: Jul 13th, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Hearings Loss
It has been said when Wealth is lost, nothing is lost; but, when health is lost, everything is lost. So our body is our temple, and we’ve got to take care of it. All right, let’s know about a procedure that works as a pain relief for some of our ailments by giving us less pain, of course after the medical help. Eventually, most of the life’s greatest lesson is learned through pain. This means sometimes pain only works to fill our wounds, exactly the way acupuncture does.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a natural treatment which helps to relieve pain. It is used for a wide range of other complaints. This therapy involves insertion of the very thin needles into the body. These needles are inserted at a specific point and at various depths.
Acupuncture is used to treat many different diseases, disorder and pain condition. Some of the diseases which can easily be treated with the acupuncture are Tendinitis, Arthritis, Headaches, Chronic pain, Chronic fatigue syndrome, skin problem, Respiratory disorder, etc. An Acupuncturist will insert needles into the patient’s body with the aim of balancing their energy.
Acupuncture Therapy for Hearing loss
Hearing loss is one of the major problems for today’s youth. Various treatments and hearing aids are used to get rid of this problem.
Acupuncture Therapy is also one of the natural treatment for the Hearing loss. Research in International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine finds that Acupuncture is effective for the treatment of nerve-related deafness. Acupuncture therapy can significantly improve the hearing of patients with nerve deafness.
Does Acupuncture for the hearing loss really works?
Acupuncture therapy helps someone to get relieved from hearing loss. Acupuncture could improve the symptoms, especially of hearing loss. It is a natural therapy which helps the patient to get rid of hearing loss.
How does acupuncture therapy work for hearing loss?
Acupuncture is a method of Chinese medicine theory in the form of an alternative medicine. In this procedure, insertion of thin needles into the body skin or tissues to decrease pain. It helps to treat various physical, mental, and emotional health conditions in the west largely. Although the main use of this method is stress management. A different range of Acupuncture theories founded on different belief and techniques vary, depending on the country. An unfortunate fact, acupuncture is not much more effective for a wide range of health issues.
Acupoints are the specified points where the needles are inserted. Some of the acupoints used for the treatments are as follows:
- TB17 (Yifeng),
- GB2 (Tinghui),
- SJ21 (Ermen),
- SI19 (Tinggong),
- LU7 (Lieque),
- GB43 (Xiaxi),
- SJ3 (Zhongzhu),
- LR3 (Taichong),
- GB40 (Qiuxu).
To be on the safe side, acupuncture should be done by certified or trained expert applying clean and single-use needles. In this regard, NCCAOM (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) is a regulatory agency for acupuncture, which will help you to find a local practitioner.
Secondly, comfortable clothes are more recommended during the procedure which provides easy access to face, arms, and legs. Because acupuncturist may need to insert needles into these areas to balance your body’s energy.
Once properly delivered, it doesn’t cause any adverse effects. It involves needle insertion (between 5-20 needles), needle manipulation, and needle removal (after 10-20 minutes).
Furthermore, acupuncture is effective for the treatment of nerve-related deafness. Specifically, the sensorineural hearing loss which occurs due to auditory nerve damage. On this wise acupuncture may help to significantly improve the hearing of the patients.
Can acupuncture reverse hearing loss?
Although the loss of hearing is gradual with age. But during youth time, our diet, environmental lifestyle, infections, few medications, and other health conditions can also result in hearing impairment. Inadequate sleep and rest, high blood cholesterol, exposure to the loud environment and highest volume of digital audio players are certainly increasing the problem of sensorineural hearing loss.
In some cases, needle insertion into the strategic points on the pinna and around the ear is helpful to cure or reduce hearing loss and tinnitus. However, the combined research results have shown that the use of this method is beneficial for sudden hearing loss and other auditory disorders like tinnitus. While not being helpful for the patients with broken tympanic membranes, disarticulated ossicular chains, and other physical abnormalities.
In an Experiment for a time period of 17 days, a total of 22 patients fully recovered. 4 people showed the moderate improvement, 5 people showed the marked improvements, while 3 people had no improvements.
The graph shows a case report of a 9-year-old primary school student who is suffering from severe hearing loss.
Lt ear pre and Rt ear pre: Left ear and right ear hearing levels before receiving acupuncture treatment.
During the first treatment, the patient gets significant relief of the block ear sensation and great improvement in hearing. After the eighth treatment, the patient reported that he felts great improvement in hearing.
Figure (b) shows that the patient’s hearing returned to normal
Left ear post and right ear post: left ear and right ear hearing levels after receiving acupuncture treatments.
Acupuncture against tinnitus
Acupuncture can be the best treatment for tinnitus. In many people, tinnitus is an expression of a much deeper dissonance that is generally develop slowly and gradually. For them, the treatment option will include to nourish the body at a deeper level and returns to optimal health.
For others, tinnitus may be an exposure to loud noise or a side effect of medications. In this case, these patients may respond well to acupuncture therapy treatment alone.
Usually, the treatment involves 8-12 needles (size of a hair) placed on all of the required areas along with various Chinese herbs. Its initial benefit begins after 8 to 10 treatments, although some patients may require more sessions. In addition, Acupuncture combined with ginger moxibustion have an acceptable healing benefit on patients with tinnitus.
Acupuncture for Sudden hearing loss
A sudden hearing loss is considered as an emergency. Causes include inner ear infections, traumatic, neurotic, cochlear, immunologic, toxic, and many other causes. People with SSHL (sudden sensorineural hearing loss) often notice in the morning when they wake up and when they make a call using deafened ear.
The acupuncture programmed for 7 days, containing one course with an interval of 3 days between two courses. The total effectiveness of acupuncture in case of SSHL is near about 64%. Moreover, the researcher has not found more inherent evidence yet. But some evidence suggests, acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicines can successfully treat the auditory disorder to some extent.
To conclude, when medication couldn’t help to return the hearing, for them acupuncture aims to establish, evaluate, and promote recognized standards of ability and medications for the protection and benefit of the public. Sometimes the benefit of this method is difficult to measure. But in most cases, people find it helpful to control a variety of painful conditions.
Acupressure Massage and points for Deafness and Ringing in the ear.
For Acupressure and massage, there are several points for deafness and ringing in the ear. Massage on these points works better and faster. These points are listed as :
- Point LU9 – (Tai Yuan): This point is placed over distal to the styloid process of the radius, at the radial side of the wrist crease. Massage on this point helps in poor circulation, arterial sclerosis, headache, migraine, neck rigidity, cough, asthma, sore throat, etc.
- UB23 – (Shen Shu): Location of this point is 3 finger width lateral to the lower border of the spinous process of the 2nd lumbar Vertebra. Massage on this point helps in impotence, male disorder, low energy, ringing in the ears, etc.
- Point SI3 – (Hou Xi): This point is close to the head of the 5th metacarpal bone on the ulnar side when a loose fist is made. Benefits of Massage on this point helps in Headache, stiff neck, deafness, ringing in the ear, weakness of the arm muscles, etc.
- Point TH5 – (Wai Guan): location of this point is at three finger width above width crease on the dorsal side. This point helps in Headaches, pain behind the ear, pain I the hand, pain in the cheek, deafness, etc.
- Point K3 – (Tai Xi): Located in the depression between the medial malleolus and tendo-calcaneus, level withe tip of the medial malleolus. Benefits of massage on this point are balancing point, the frequency of urination, emotions, deafness, vomiting, etc.
- Point ST7 – (Xia Guan): Location of this point is at the lower bound of the zygomatic arch, in the depression anterior to the condyloid process of the mandible when the mouth is closed. Benefits of massage on this point helps in pain in the face, facial paralysis, tinnitus, deafness, etc.
- Point SI19 – (Ting Gong): Location of this point is anterior to the tragus and posterior to the condyloid process of the mandible, in thee depression form when the mouth is opened. Massage on this point helps in Deafness, tinnitus, ear infection, toothache, etc.
- Point GB2 – (Ting Hui): This point has placed over the depression half finger- width which is below Si9. Benefits are Deafness, pain, facial paralysis, etc.
It is important that you must have to consult with a healthcare professional before practising Acupressure or start any diet.
5 Steps to Improve Hearing
Five steps to improve hearing loss and prevent further damage are as follows:
- Wear Protection: If you found yourself in noisy exposure and won’t be able to avoid it, for such problems you have to wear the devices like earplugs to protect your ears from damaging loud noise.
- Limits: Limit the sound of your surroundings as much as you can, keep the volume at the moderate level of the devices like headphones, stereos, etc.
- Give yourself a break: Give a break of 10-15 minutes to yourself in a day. This will train your ears to better focus on the quite sound and increase the overall hearing power.
- Food: Diet is one of the major factors which will help to improve the hearing power. Food like Salmon, spinach, beans, broccoli, asparagus, Dark Chocolate, cashews, etc. are the best food to maintain and to improve the hearing power.
- Acupuncture: It is also one of the most used natural method, through which the hearing power can be improved. Acupuncture also helps to recover the hearing loss.
Other methods to recover hearing loss Naturally.
Diet For a Hearing loss:
A balanced diet for smaller and more frequent meals with a good amount of complex carbohydrates is a good to start for someone who is suffering from hearing loss. One who is suffering from hearing loss should also avoid the meals like cold and raw foods. Avoid processed meals and dairy products.
Home remedies for hearing loss:
- Bone marrow soup,
- Ear irrigation,
- Spice-ginger tea, etc.
Vitamin Supplements for Hearing loss:
- Niacin (Vitamin B3) to increase blood flow to the microcapillaries of the inner ear.
- N-acetylcysteine (NAC; 500 milligrams) may help prevent hearing loss.
- Taking folate (folic acid; 400 micrograms) on daily basis, shown to slow hearing loss.
Self-acupressure for Hearing loss:
- Find the Acupoint (KID-3) in the depression between the inner anklebone and the Achilles tendon of the right foot. apply pressure to this point with the help of thumb. hold for two minutes, and repeat the same process on the left foot.
- Locate the acupoint Listening palace (SI-19), directly in front of the right ear canal, in the depression form when the mouth is slightly open. apply the pressure with the help of your finger, hold for two minutes. and repeat the same process on the left ear.