It totally refers to the lack of hearing. An individual suffering from profound deafness is unable to detect the sound at all.
The severity of this kind of hearing impairment is described by how much the louder volume have to set by the audiologist so that they are able to hear the sound.
A lot of people define profoundly deaf and totally deaf in the same manner, while other people say that a diagnosis of profound deafness is the end of the hearing spectrum.
The hearing loss can be basically divided into four categories such as Mild hearing loss, Moderate hearing loss, Severe hearing loss, profound hearing loss.
The profound hearing loss is more severe than others. A person with profound hearing loss will always have trouble in understanding speech and conversation also with hearing aids and does not hear the louder sound without hearing aid. A profound hearing loss is the highest level of hearing loss. In some cases, it is more Severe hearing loss even hearing aids do not work. .Its degree of loss is 80 dB or more.
Hair Cells are responsible for hearing. Another name is tiny nerves. Hair cells are found within the cochlea because of their shapes. There are two kinds of hair cells
- Inner hair cells which are responsible to sort and transmit various frequencies or pitches of sound.
- Outer hair cells are responsible to intensify the transmission of soft sounds.
In mild to moderate hearing loss, the people lost their outer hair cells due to which they cannot hear soft sounds. Examples of soft sounds such as voices of girls women and children.
In a profound hearing loss, people lost their inner as well as outer hair cells. They cannot distinguish between the sounds of different pitches. Hearing aids are beneficial to make these type of sounds easier to hear for the people who are suffering from profound hearing loss.
Best hearing aids for profound hearing loss
The best hearing aids for a profound hearing loss is different from hearing aids designed for someone with a mild or severe hearing loss. Every person with profound hearing loss has their own needs which must be properly addressed.
Phonak Naida V UP is the best hearing aid for profound hearing loss. There are many options for hearing aids best for the profound hearing loss. These are:
- Phonak: The Naída V UP
- Widex: The SUPER
- Unitron: The MAX
- Resound The ENZO2
- Oticon: The Dynamo
Classification of a degree of hearing loss:
|The degree of hearing loss||Hearing loss range (dB HL)|
|Normal||–10 to 15|
|Slight||16 to 25|
|Mild||26 to 40|
|Moderate||41 to 55|
|Moderately severe||56 to 70|
|Severe||71 to 90|
Impact of profound hearing loss on the child:
- The profound Hearing loss affected are unable to hear important elements and class dissection.
- They can’t hear word or sounds leaving with ‘s’, ‘ing’ and ‘ed’ in their conversation.
- Limited vocabulary as compared to other children.
- They need more concentration than others.
- Unable to pronounce high-frequency sounds such as ‘s’ or ‘p’.
- Sometimes they get difficulty with some reading material.
- Get difficulty in understanding complex sentences
- Most of the people found difficulty in explaining the situation and ideas.
- They depended on sign language.
You can purchase the latest hearing aids at a fair price through HearingSol, If you need more information or you have a query about Hearing Aid or Profound Hearing Loss, just give us a call on +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.