If you want to know how long do cochlear implants last? There are a lot of cochlear manufacturers. They give approx 5 to 10-years warranty on your sound processor. Warranty depends or varies on their manufacturer Some time you need to replace it after 5 to 10 years.
How long do cochlear implants last?
Generally, the implantation of the cochlear device lasts for a lifetime. Technically, it can last for 10 years. It can be possible that that technology may advance over 20-30 years and you may elect to replace the device to take advantage of those changes. The external part is just like a hearing aid and you may have to replace with the increasing time. Thus external parts of the cochlear implant may last for 5-10 years. Basically, Depending on your choice of cochlear implant device you may have a three or five-year warranty on your sound processor. Beyond that you may require to purchase an extended warranty or your insurance may cover repairs.
However, The surgery of the cochlear implant lasts for 2-3 hours. The recovery period is between 1-4 days depending upon the patient.
Reasons that force you to replace the cochlear implant:
- Rejection: Due to allergy body reject the implant.
- Extruded implant receiver: Some time implant becomes extruded and needs to be re-implanted or replaced.
- Device Failure: Some cochlear implant stopped working and you need to replace it. It has different categories such as hard failure, soft failure.
- Direct trauma to the device may also cause it to fail to require surgical replacement
- Incorrect surgical placement of the device and electrode array may be the reason to replace. Also due to damage to the electrode array during insertion.
- Electrode migration: As it performs speech recognition. Electrode migration or incorrect insertion of the cochlear implant may lead to removal and replacement of the device.
Cochlear implant surgery
During the operation, the surgeon employs an incision in the back of the ear to be treated to enter the middle ear and cochlea. The area around the ear will be shaved to make it easier. Hair will regrow quickly. The operation lasts for up to three hours and normally, people spend one night in the hospital.
The operation is critical and complex rather than dangerous because no important organs are disturbed. There are no serious attendant risks associated with this operation, which are normally associated with major surgery. People are requested not to wash their hair for three weeks during this treatment process but there is no other limit on normal activities.
Benefits from a cochlear implant
A cochlear implant is a treatment option which provides a better hearing experience. The benefits can include:
- Better sound clarity.
- A better understanding of speech.
- Improved hearing in noise.
- More employment opportunities.
- By reducing anxiety, improving quality of life and improving overall health.
Tips to care for a cochlear implant
- You can feel slight pain and headache on your implant for a few days.
- It takes 3 to 6 weeks to heal. Most people recover within 1 or 2 weeks.
- Start walking daily it boosts your blood flow and help to prevent pneumonia and constipation.
- Avoid stressful activity for 4 to 6 weeks.
- You can wash your hair or take a shower after 1 week of surgery.
We have a team of specialists who are involved in the appraisal. However, we assess all aspects of the children to determine realistic results.
You can purchase the latest hearing aids at a fair price through HearingSol, If you need more information or you have a query about Cochlear Implants or Hearing Loss, just give us a call on +91-9899437202. We are always here to help you.
Read More –